The attached message was sent by a member of this shared mailbox.

Copper Contributor

Hello,

i am wondering about an Exchange 2013 (CU 21) behavior.

We have a shared mailbox with the persimission setting MessageCopyForSentAsEnabled enabled via the powershell.

Get-MailBox <Name> | Set-MailBox -MessageCopyForSentAsEnabled $true

It all works fine and as it should, but we having an archiving system which works with an journal recepient. Therefore i have a journal recepient on each database and a smtp send connector which then transfers the mails to our archiv.

Now the curious thing is that there are invalid mails transfered to the archiv with the following content:

"The attached message was sent by a member of this shared mailbox. Usually, it would appear in Sent Items, but your service is currently being upgraded. Things will be back to normal after the upgrade."

On the Mail is the original mail attached, but the mail itself is send by "MicrosoftExchange<RandomNumbersAndLetters>@<tld>.

There is no recepient declared on this mail.

I could not figure out if this is a designed behavior of how this MessageCopyForSentAsEnabled works or not.

I found 3 differnent answers for it and none with any microsoft sources:

1. This happens if the option MessageCopyForSentAsEnabled is enabled on a usermailbox. In our case it is definitly a shared mailbox.
  2. This happens if the exchange is in an co-existence with an exchange 2007/2010 server.
  3. This is designed behavior. As this message is generated with the Option MessageCopyForSentAsEnabled. The message is used for the shared mailbox, to safe the appended message to it's own sent folder.

The main problem is that our archiv cannot handle the mails without the recepient and keeps sending generating errors in the queue.

For now i would like to know, what is the correct answer for this messages and can i get rid of them?

Thank you for any help or hint to get to the correct direction.

4 Replies

Nobody have any idea or source to read about it ? :)

Hey Michael,

One of the more active members here Vasil Michev actually has a blog post about this error:

https://www.michev.info/Blog/Post/1947/messagecopy-settings-and-forwarding

It appears that the behavior is at least known, if not outright intended.

If you want a specific answer to if there is a way to change the behavior, I would recommend opening a premier case or talking to your TAM.

Adam 

Hello Adam,

thank you for your response.

I found the thread aswell, but it not really have a explanation, why this happens and if i can change it.

It's a shame, that there is no technet or other microsoft document about this.

How do i contact my TAM?

Hello Adam,

thank you for your response.

I found the thread aswell, but it not really have a explanation, why this happens and if i can change it.

It's a shame, that there is no technet or other microsoft document about this.

How do i contact my TAM?