SOLVED

Sharing and object between Excel on MAC and Excel on Windows

Copper Contributor

I am trying to share the same PDF file in Excel on the MAC and Excel on Windows. I cannot use hyperlink as it creates the link from the perspective of the machine creating it,  I have tried imbedding the PDF file as an object in Windows but I cannot access it on Excel.  How can I do this?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by jragan (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@jragan 

To share the same PDF file between Excel on macOS and Excel on Windows, you can use OneDrive or SharePoint to store the PDF file and then insert a link to the file in your Excel workbook. This method allows both macOS and Windows users to access the PDF file from within Excel. Here's how you can do it:

1. Upload PDF to OneDrive or SharePoint:
    • Store the PDF file in a shared location, such as OneDrive or SharePoint. Make sure that both macOS and Windows users have access to the file.
  2. Get Shareable Link:
    • Right-click on the PDF file in OneDrive or SharePoint.
    • Select "Copy link" or "Get shareable link" option to obtain the link to the PDF file.
  3. Insert Link in Excel:
    • Open your Excel workbook on macOS or Windows.
    • Select the cell or object where you want to insert the link to the PDF file.
    • Go to the "Insert" tab on the Excel ribbon.
    • Choose "Link" or "Hyperlink," depending on your Excel version.
    • Paste the copied link into the address field and click "OK" or "Insert" to create the hyperlink.
  4. Testing the Link:
    • Save and close the Excel workbook.
    • Share the workbook with other users.
    • When users open the workbook on macOS or Windows, they can click on the hyperlink to open the PDF file in their default web browser.

By using a shareable link to the PDF file stored in OneDrive or SharePoint, you ensure that users on both macOS and Windows platforms can access the file directly from Excel without encountering compatibility issues or errors. Additionally, this method allows for easy collaboration and updates to the PDF file without needing to embed it as an object. The text was created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

@NikolinoDE 

Thank you very much that works great!!!

John

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jragan (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@jragan 

To share the same PDF file between Excel on macOS and Excel on Windows, you can use OneDrive or SharePoint to store the PDF file and then insert a link to the file in your Excel workbook. This method allows both macOS and Windows users to access the PDF file from within Excel. Here's how you can do it:

1. Upload PDF to OneDrive or SharePoint:
    • Store the PDF file in a shared location, such as OneDrive or SharePoint. Make sure that both macOS and Windows users have access to the file.
  2. Get Shareable Link:
    • Right-click on the PDF file in OneDrive or SharePoint.
    • Select "Copy link" or "Get shareable link" option to obtain the link to the PDF file.
  3. Insert Link in Excel:
    • Open your Excel workbook on macOS or Windows.
    • Select the cell or object where you want to insert the link to the PDF file.
    • Go to the "Insert" tab on the Excel ribbon.
    • Choose "Link" or "Hyperlink," depending on your Excel version.
    • Paste the copied link into the address field and click "OK" or "Insert" to create the hyperlink.
  4. Testing the Link:
    • Save and close the Excel workbook.
    • Share the workbook with other users.
    • When users open the workbook on macOS or Windows, they can click on the hyperlink to open the PDF file in their default web browser.

By using a shareable link to the PDF file stored in OneDrive or SharePoint, you ensure that users on both macOS and Windows platforms can access the file directly from Excel without encountering compatibility issues or errors. Additionally, this method allows for easy collaboration and updates to the PDF file without needing to embed it as an object. The text was created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

View solution in original post