SOLVED

Need help importing access data into excel

Copper Contributor

Hello all,

I am looking to import my training database from access into excel and am having difficulties. Once the importing process is complete, everything looks good except for a couple fields. In the access database, I used lookup fields for the fields titled Course Name and Instruc. In access, they are linked with separate tables Course Name and Instructors and display corresponding names. However once I import the database to excel, the names are replaced with numbers corresponding to the built in "ID" numbers. How would I go about replacing the ID numbers with the corresponding names?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have attached pictures of the access database and the excel spreadsheet if that would helpScreenshot (6)_LI.jpgScreenshot (5)_LI.jpg

2 Replies
best response confirmed by ekane1 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ekane1 

Create a query in Access that joins the table you want to export with the Course Names and Instructors table. Change the joins to include ALL records from your table and only related records from the other tables.

Add all fields from your table to the query grid except Course Name and Instruc.

Instead of those two, add the corresponding fields from the other tables.

Save the query and use this instead of the table.

That worked, thanks!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ekane1 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ekane1 

Create a query in Access that joins the table you want to export with the Course Names and Instructors table. Change the joins to include ALL records from your table and only related records from the other tables.

Add all fields from your table to the query grid except Course Name and Instruc.

Instead of those two, add the corresponding fields from the other tables.

Save the query and use this instead of the table.

View solution in original post