SOLVED

Conditional Formatting Highlighting Rows Based on another cell

Brass Contributor

Hello Excel community. 

I am creating an inventory log for work; were we list clients for our clerical unit to process fax. mail and so on. 

MY hope was to include Conditional formatting, dark highlight each row when it is completed. 

This verifies the case was complete based on Column-N that has a date populated. When a date is completed that said row will only highlight from Columns B3 to K3 down to Row 601

Some occasions we may remove the date because the case needs to be reworked, so it may be removed therefore the highlight should be removed as well. 

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. 

7 Replies
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@James818 You want to apply conditional formatting based on a custom formula. This is the formula to use:

=$N3<>""

I made a custom video showing how I came up with the formula and how to correctly apply it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iotSp2lNtc

Optional tip if this was helpful: [link removed by admin] 

Thats amazing, you made a video so perfect to what I was hoping for. When get home later tonight I will be tipping on PP. Thank you so much!
Thank you again for your assistance.

Just a followup question. =IF(L3<>"", TODAY(), ""), what if I wanted to add M3 coulm along with L3? This way when "Either L or M" columns are filled with a name, then the date will still populate (which would now be Column N).

This is my personal account when working from home btw.

@LouisDeconinck I’ve tried multiple times to follow your excellent instructions, but I can’t get it to work. I’m missing something. 
I want the entire row of my table to highlight once a date has been entered in column G. As long as there is no date in that column, I want the row to stay unfilled. 
I manually coloured the first row in my example, but I’m sure there’s a better and easier way. Can you please help?

IMG_0746.jpeg

@Jewles813 My earlier video instructions should also apply here. You want to use conditional formatting based on a formula. In your case the formula would look like:

=$G2<>""

You need to use G2 as that is the cell of the first row you want to check. Notice how there's a $ in front of the G, but not the 2. That's very important. It allows the conditional formatting to be shifted downwards.

Make sure that the conditional formatting is applied to your entire table, so from A2:G1000

Optional tip if this was helpful: [link removed by admin] 

@Shipwreck818 If you want today's date to appear when either cell L3 or M3 is filled out, you can use the following formula:

=IF(OR(L3<>"", M3<>""), TODAY(), "")

Optional tip if this was helpful: [link removed by admin] 

Thank you so much for your assistance. This works perfect, thank you!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@James818 You want to apply conditional formatting based on a custom formula. This is the formula to use:

=$N3<>""

I made a custom video showing how I came up with the formula and how to correctly apply it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iotSp2lNtc

Optional tip if this was helpful: [link removed by admin] 

View solution in original post