Unfinished symmetry, or overlooked asymmetry - 1

Iron Contributor

I. Three useful panels - how to save them separately?

The Tab Groups, the Collections and the Favorites panels evince so severe limitations it's time to make next steps in their development. Let them mature enough to be helpful, not to be nasty tasks to users coercing them to heavily learning how to do this or that in terms of bookmarks in Edge browser.

[Fig. 1] Three Tenors of Edge. Alas, far from maturity of the singers. :(

ssex_0017_2021.10.04-15.17.38.png

But I think it is a simple matter to make our Panels to sing unisono too.

1) Tab Groups

The greatest enigma for me, I do not know which files in ~/.config/edge/ directory tree keep the data. The only methods I have found usable was to use Add all tabs to Collections then save the files , see the point 2), or Add open pages to favorites and then export Favorites to bookmarks.html (see point 3). Pay attention that the last option is misleading - it opens new pop-up window with title Add all tabs to favorites which correct. You cannot add open pages only.

[Fig, 2]

Web capture_4-10-2021_151511_.jpeg

2) Collections

I've found their files in ~/.config/Default/Collections/ directory:

[Fig. 3]

Web capture_4-10-2021_15235_.jpeg

As the names suggest the data are saved in SQLite files. Edge users can save them in another backup directory (a simple script does it here on my PC). Let me be honest now - it is a very primitive way of backing up files as they are not exchangeable!

Let's dream for a while that Edge Team found one day a time to make our lives with Edge more comfy. I swear that it would be very easy job to add an option to export collections to collections.html file. Why HTML file? When you select collections and copy them to clipboard, you'll be able to paste them to any editor. Clipboard keeps data in the form of title and hyperlink. Very convenient form known to everyone from the beginning of WWW.

3) Favorites

The most pervasive form of exchanging hyperlinks. Edge coders, as many others, like to use JSON standard lately. I hate it, text would suffice, as that's how it was done in those times of Unix. Oh, well, back to the issue. Of course, everyone using Edge knows that he can export this .json file to bookmarks.html easily. There's such option for the task. So, the procedure to change json file to html file exists. Good.

[Fig. 4]

Web capture_4-10-2021_15852_.jpeg

Summing up what I wrote.

Time to answer to the question from header - Three useful panels - how to save them separately?

1) Tab groups

No knowledge of config files and no export option to tab-groups.html.

2) Collections

SQLite files, no export option to collections.html.

3) Favorites

Json files, there exists export option to bookmarks.html.

What, or why, Edge Team overlooked or unfinished yet?

Regards

--
MS Edge Dev 96.0.1028.0-1
Debian Bullseye GNU/Linux 5.10.46-5, X.org 1.20.11, IceWM 2.1.2
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650, Driver 460.91.03, systemd 247 (247.3-6)

0 Replies