Microsoft Edge to remember download directory for failed downloads

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am finding this issue very annoying when downloading files be it in bulk or individually, whenever a download fails (Couldn't download - Network issue*), when you click restart Microsoft Edge then ignores the directory in which you told it to download the file(s) to and then defaults to your C drive's Download directory.

With Microsoft BOASTING as usual how excellent its apps/programs are, yet they suck a55 and are a huge drain on resources considering its just a bare bone browser vs others out there, but it pi55es me off every time Windows performs its forced updates, its always forcing Edge (and other Cr4pware) onto my computer and defaulting it and homepage/search engine to Microsoft Edge/Bing Search (which never gives you links you search for as top result vs Google), so I gave up having to keep manually changing it and stuck with it.

But whenever a file fails to download it is VERY ANNOYING that for some stupid reason this so called excellent browser completely forgets the download directory you had set the file to download to and will automatically default to your C drive's Download folder.

Forcing you to then manually move the downloaded file(s) back into the directory you had told it to download to in the first place. Which is VERY ANNOYING if you are downloading files in bulk.

* This so called "Couldn't download - Network issue" is yet again another pathetic error report from Microsoft, the error has nothing to do with my Network nor the Host Server in which the file(s) is downloading from.

This ERROR is caused within this so called EXCELLENT BROWSER from Microsoft, when loading up other websites or basically using it as intended to browse the web, it comes to loading up pages and when it is doing so, it then interferes with the file(s) you are downloading.

Then it gives up downloading and your forced to restart your download(s) again, thus it AUTOMATICALLY downloads to your C Drive's Download Folder rather than the Directory you told tat file to download to.

And before I get some "Microsoft Expert" replying, NO, I am not asking how to change the directory which my downloads go to.

The problem is, when telling a file to download to a directory you told it to download to, when it fails and you restart your download, it completely ignores where you told it to download to and defaults to your C Drives Downloads Folder.

The whole purpose of having the ability to tell the browser where to save your downloads to is so that they actually download to that folder/directory you created. It becomes VERY ANNOYING when downloading files that are broken down into parts (if the overall file itself is large), these parts must be in the set directory so that when you extract your download, they extract to that directory.

And as you should know, apps/programs will not function if any of its files are not located in the correct directory.

So why is it Microsoft who are supposed to be "experts" failed to pick up on this flaw, I won't go into the many other problems with this browser. As for now, my main annoyance is this.

1 Reply
Yeah, Edge has all these problems! I recommend you should check your network, and make sure it's working.