Issues with today's Dev channel update to 76.0.167.0

Microsoft

Update: At 8:00 AM Redmond time we released build 76.0.167.1 to the Dev channel. This build contains all of the fixes and improvements in 76.0.167.0, and a fix for the bug which caused it not to launch. This build will be automatically deployed in the coming hours (option B below) or you can get it immediately by uninstalling and reinstalling the Dev channel (option A below).

Hello Insiders,

We sincerely appreciate that your feedback helped quickly identify and fix an issue that prevents Microsoft Edge from launching after today’s Dev channel update to build 76.0.167.0. We apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused.

If your machine is impacted, there are 2 options (A or B) to fix the issue:

A) Uninstall Microsoft Edge Dev from Apps & features (under Settings/Apps/Apps & features) and reinstall it from https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download. When you do, you'll be back on last week's Dev channel build 76.0.159.0.

B) Wait for 24 hours and try launching Microsoft Edge Dev again. W are releasing a new build with a fix to the Dev channel, and it will be automatically deployed to your device without having to take any action.  In the meantime, you can download and use the Microsoft Edge Canary channel (same link as above) until the Dev channel is updated.

Thanks again for your support and feedback!

-David on behalf of the Microsoft Edge team

7 Replies

@David Rubino I can no longer open the browser on my notebook, so I took it out of my notebook, I'm using Edge at the moment and waiting for an update so I can go back to the Edge chromium

Thank you for the update, David, and transparency on the fix.

This is a win-win: we provide feedback, Microsoft fixes it, and the implementation is easy-as-can-be. Glad to hear it'll deploy automatically, too.

I'm actually very excited about the new features in 167!

Many, myself included, are reporting that if you open Edge Dev with "Run as Administrator" it will open and run just fine.   Sort of an Option 3 while we wait for the fix to push.

Ok, got the fix and am now on Microsoft Edge is up to date
Version 76.0.167.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit), however, this did not update automatically while trying to launch Dev normally. I had to launch Dev from admin-mode then update and close and restart and all is well now.....

So for other folks still trying to get the fix and start Dev do this.
Start Dev in Administrator mode,
go to settings>help and feedback>about> and it will start updating
close Dev when asked to restart, then close again and start it as normal
your now fixed..

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile 

Oh geeez, here was trying to reply to this thread when I just noticed how old it is in terms of the Build numbers being mentioned.

We are, now, @ Build 77.0.197.1

Ergo, will save the ink for replying to something else.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Lol... yeah is an old post .. Wonder what happen that it just now caught your eye.....

Dennis5mile
Yeah, I realized that. It was strangely was just recently in email

Cheers,
Drew