[FIXED] Why Edge on Android is using super old Chromium engine?

MVP

Edge on Android is now on the latest version, the same as Edge desktop, everything is new and up to date.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/new-edge-canary-mobile-version-available-now-upda...

I'm using Edge beta on Android 9. the Chromium version in it is version 77. right now the latest stable version is 80, Beta is 81 so naturally, just like Google chrome itself, Edge Beta should have Chromium 81 but in reality it is using a very old Chromium version 77.

Why is that?

p.s I detected the engine version using multiple websites that are made to detect browser engines in browsers.

11 Replies

@HotCakeX 

Why is that important? For me the main priority is the fully working browser with features I want... and Edge for Android is fine, all is working, it is fine, it has features which I need... why do I need to care about core version number or whatever else? Why to change something what is working?!

Why not?
If everyone followed the idea that "if it's working don't fix it" then nothing would progress in the world, because everything would just keep working the way they were.
why make a new 108 megapixel camera when the 12 megapixel camera is already working fine?

my main concern about engine/core version is the security updates and vulnerability that get patched in each version of Chromium.

my other concern is the features and technologies that are supported/added in each new version of Chrome/Chromium, while Microsoft Edge on mobile misses them.

@HotCakeX 

Sorry, but in my opinion Edge browser is for "common users" not for pro-users... for this purpose there are anothers products... thats why we will not see some features (majority) which are mentioned here in Edge forum corner. 

There is no need to be progressive, many new features and standards are not even supported by other browsers so there is no real support from web developers... Microsoft should follow these standars but do not push them hard.

@Deleted 

@Deleted wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Sorry, but in my opinion Edge browser is for "common users" not for pro-users... for this purpose there are anothers products... thats why we will not see some features (majority) which are mentioned here in Edge forum corner. 

There is no need to be progressive, many new features and standards are not even supported by other browsers so there is no real support from web developers... Microsoft should follow these standars but do not push them hard.

What..how is that even related to common or pro users?

I never heard of a browser made for "pros" or a browser made specifically for "common people" !

" thats why we will not see some features (majority) which are mentioned here in Edge forum corner. "

???

Microsoft shouldn't push what hard?

it's Google's Chromium engine, that's the most used browser currently in the world. it means, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Opera, Vivaldi, Brave, Yandex browser etc etc are all using it. a new feature in Chromium will come in all those other browsers because they share the same code.

I'm also trying edge beta on Android to maintain sync between desktop and android and That's exactly what I was thinking, but I don't think they are gonna upgrade it in near future.
At least if they reassured us that the security updates from version 80 is included in version 77 then that would be something...but no response yet

I'm moving to Chrome for some time, on mobiles at least, due to the same reason you mentioned. Being a student, we use certain web apps which only works on Chrome 79 or above. And they are incompatible with Edge on Android. I even shared this feedback to Microsoft on multiple occasion and waited for it to update. For at least a month but to no resolve. And then I switched.

Screenshot_2020-12-10-00-50-09-43.jpg

@Livewitharya 

Well, you have every reason to do that, it's sad though..i really wish we got more updates and news from developers in here to tell us what are their plans for Edge mobile...

@HotCakeX In the AMA on Reddit, there is an official response from the team on this front:

"Hey all! I am a PM on the mobile team for Edge. We hear you and want you to know we are investing significantly in our mobile apps. The reason for the old Chromium version is that our priority right now is to get it aligned sharing the same code base as the desktop Edge. Once that work is complete we expect rapid updates to come out on that aligned code base. We do not have a time frame to share right now, but we hope to have more information out soon."

https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftEdge/comments/k9c316/were_the_microsoft_edge_team_and_were_back_fo... 

That's honestly nothing I didn't already know, (like they are not going to move to Chromium 78, once they decide to start moving, they surely will use the most recent version, like 89, 90), but for now they don't share anything with public about that so back to where we were again.

estimated time would be helpful so we could know how much we have to wait approximately