Dev channel update to 81.0.403.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 81.0.403.1 to the Dev Channel.  One thing that we didn’t get a chance to mention last week was that we had to temporarily disable casting.  It’s still functional, but you have to enable the edge://flags/#load-media-router-component-extension flag.  We plan to enable it by default once again in a future update. 

We also started a discussion here around two features that many of you have expressed that you miss from Edge Legacy:  Set Aside Tabs and Warn On Close.  Users of lots of tabs in particular will want to check out https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/discussion-set-aside-tabs-and-warn-on-close/m-p/1...

Finally, we made a new blog post about a very cool web developer feature:  3D view.  You can learn how to enable it and check it out for yourself here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/01/23/debug-z-index-3d-view-edge-devtools/.  As for our most noteworthy changes this week: 

Added features: 

• Enabled the 3D viewer tool in the F12 Developer Tools.
  • Enabled localization of the F12 Dev tools so they will match the language the rest of the browser is using.
  • Enabled the link on the … menu to the Extensions management page in Application Guard windows now that extensions have been enabled.

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where navigating to certain websites causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where websites that use Windows’ credential prompt in order to log in sometimes cause a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where using Collections sometimes causes a browser crash when closing a window.
  • Fixed an issue where certain DRM-protected video doesn’t play on Windows Insider builds.
  • Fixed an issue where certain DRM-protected video doesn’t play on certain devices.

Changed behavior: 

• Temporarily hid the Global Media Controls button that was inherited from Chromium.
  • Improved the white flashes that sometimes occur in Dark Theme when loading internal webpages like Favorites, History, etc.
  • Fixed an issue where Spellcheck is sometimes not enabled by default.
  • Fixed an issue where editing favorites on the Favorites management page sometimes causes folders to unexpectedly close or open.
  • Improved Browser Task Manager’s persistence of column widths.
  • Fixed an issue where there were two context menu entries to move a tab to a new window.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to translate a page into the same language it’s already in causes the Translate popup not to show the current language correctly.
  • Fixed an issue where the Done or Next button sometimes doesn’t appear during the First Run Experience.
  • Fixed an issue where parts of Collections are inappropriately hidden when the browser’s zoom level is set to greater than 100%.
  • Fixed an issue where pressing Shift+Tab when editing text in a Collection unexpectedly exits text editing mode.
  • Fixed an issue where pasting text into a Collection sometimes shows black on dark text when using Dark Theme.
  • Fixed text formatting issues when pasting text into a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where the option to Read Aloud is shown in places where it can’t be used.
  • Fixed an issue where the list of voices available in Read Aloud sometimes isn’t correct.
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes doesn’t read long phrases properly when using certain voices.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where websites installed as apps still have a too-tall title bar.

Known issues: 

• The dialog to install a website as an app sometimes doesn’t appear.
  • Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it.  Note that some of these fixes don’t yet exist in the Stable channel, and the issue only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
  • Some users are still not seeing Collections being enabled by default on Canary and Dev. For users who want to try Collections, enabling the flag at edge://flags/#edge-collections should still work to turn on the feature. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

As always, thanks for all your feedback and suggestions, we couldn’t do it without you! 

43 Replies
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/add-the-epub-reader-from-edgeuwp-to-edge-chromium... again I hope you consider adding the support to open epubs with the immersive reader function. This feedback reached 60+ likes now

@josh_bodner 
Poderiam usar as coleções para armazenar os sites, assim como era no Edge antigo, só que com os extras da "coleção". Permitindo fazer anotações.

Cada coleção forneceria a lista de sites salvos para visualização posterior.

Hoje utilizo a extensão OneTab para fazer o que Edge antigo fazia.

Good stuff, any news on the remaining Sync settings?

@josh_bodner plz can we search for a specific collection. I have 50 collections and it's hard to find which one I'm looking for. Same for web pages inside a collection, I have plenty in the same collection.

Good point, haven't heard anything on this since some time. Extensions are not synced across devices, very important feature.

Thanks,
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/top-feedback-summary-for-january-28/m-p/1133480

"Unfortunately, there’s a couple things that are being pushed out to next month. We now have the following items under Planned for February:

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices
Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile."

@josh_bodner I would love to get the possibility to export my collections locally. I can't login with my MS account at work due to a GPO in place and thus I'm not able to sync my data or log-in to my MS account when trying to export my collections to Excel or Word Online.

Agreed. I use Collections for work research and have quite a few. A search feature would be very useful, as would some kind of integration with OneNote. Thanks!

@josh_bodner 
"Sign in is not supported when running Microsoft Edge as an administrator."
Could you please change this behavior, or, at least, let us change it via some policy? Thanks!!!

@ViniciusFonseca 

@ViniciusFonseca wrote:

@josh_bodner 
Could you please change this behavior, or, at least, let us change it via some policy? Thanks!!!

This is really important for me too ^

I'm seeing some intermittent text/font corruption on this Dev build on 3 different machines. (2 Intel 1 Nvidia)  @josh_bodner 

@Heath Bates it looks like this, right?

We're aware of it and investigating.  Right now, we suspect it's something we inherited from Chromium.  

@josh_bodner 

Just to also confirm. Also getting some sort of Chrome render machine bug distorting fonts. Chrome itself has had to deal with this in some past versions, if memory serves. Random. Cleared temporarily by selecting or scrolling. Looks like this: 

unknown

@ViniciusFonseca our identity team has started looking into this, and for some of the scenarios that @HotCakeX and others have mentioned seeing this in before (Windows Sandbox, Windows Server), we found there's a technical reason it's disabled:  the Windows components that we use for choosing and authenticating an account don't work properly when Edge is running as an admin.  We're investigating what it would take to fix this, but since it's possible it's a fix that needs to be made in Windows (as well as Edge), the timeline for doing so is much larger than if it were an Edge-only fix.  

@jbart007 yes, that's what it looks like.  For some reason the picture I'm trying to upload just won't go.  

@josh_bodner, will the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION known limitation eventually be resolved? The current solution is to uninstall the security software that is related to the error but that isn't an option in our company. 

I wonder if Forcepoint company are even aware that their security software has this problem?

@josh_bodner 

Is anyone seeing an issue in Outlook on the Web? My Inbox is not auto-refreshing as new email comes in. I have to switch to Other or another folder, then go back to Inbox for it to refresh. This seems to have started with this latest Dev build.

Known issue? Thanks!

- Michael

Hi,
Try clearing browser data: edge://settings/clearBrowserData
if you're using tracking prevention set to Strict, switch it to balanced mode