Dev channel update to 80.0.334.2 is live

Microsoft

UPDATE 2:  We published 334.4 today to more broadly disable favorites sync, which should fix some sync-related crashes that users have been experiencing.  

UPDATE:  We published 334.3 today to fix an issue where navigation on some websites was taking an extraordinarily long time for some users.  We're also hoping to publish another small revision next week to fix a couple of known crashes.  

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.334.2 to the Dev channel!  The most important thing to know this week is that, after last week’s sync issues, we’ve temporarily disabled favorites sync to prevent any more duplication.  As for the other noteworthy changes: 

Added features: 

• Added a right-click option to sort individual favorites folders by name from the Favorites management page.
  • Added a new setting to always use Strict Tracking Prevention inside InPrivate windows.

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash on launch.
  • Fixed an issue where searching from the address bar sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed a SmartScreen crash when downloading certain items.
  • Fixed an issue where selecting context menu items on certain favorites entries causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where renaming a Collection sometimes crashes the Collections pane.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes crash upon startup.
  • Fixed an issue where navigation fails in Application Guard windows.
  • Fixed an issue where closing tabs that contain websites that are blocked by SmartScreen sometimes causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where deleted or edited favorites aren’t synced properly, causing the edit to be undone when it syncs back down.
  • Fixed an issue where syncing gets stuck in the “Setting up sync” state on browser startup.
  • Fixed an issue where processes that grow too large and stop working aren’t automatically fixed.
  • Fixed an issue where sync sometimes fails after restoring tabs after a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where large Collections aren’t properly exported to Word.
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel sometimes fails.
  • Reduced the number of times a user needs to sign out and sign back into the browser in order to fix sync.

Changed behavior: 

• Temporarily disabled the ability to export Collections to Word and Excel on Mac.
  • Temporarily disabled one form of DRM support on ARM64, which may impact the ability to play certain DRM-protected videos.
  • Fixed an issue where windows that are minimized when the browser is restarted aren’t restored properly.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix playback fails with error D7356.
  • Fixed an issue where the space bar doesn’t work when typing in the address bar.
  • Fixed an issue where the enter key doesn’t work when typing in the address bar.
  • Fixed an issue where the Windows Hello prompt to log into a website with the user’s OS credentials sometimes shows in an infinite loop.
  • Fixed an issue for users of work and school accounts where websites that try and fail to use the browser profile’s credentials to log in don’t subsequently allow the user to fall back and try the user’s OS credentials.
  • Improved the way Collections export images to Word documents.
  • Fixed an issue where items sometimes fail to be added to Collections.
  • Fixed an issue where webpage contents sometimes render all black if Collections is enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where adding certain images to Collections results in a card with a broken image.
  • Fixed an issue where PWAs installed for one user on a machine sometimes can’t be launched by other users on the machine.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where feedback screenshots can’t be included when submitting feedback.
  • Fixed an issue where link context menus don’t show all the options if they’re opened via the keyboard instead of the mouse.
  • Fixed an issue where some websites that are pinned to the Task Bar launch new tabs instead of activating existing tabs when tabs with those websites already exist.
  • Fixed an issue where open tabs aren’t properly imported from Chrome.
  • Fixed an issue where the wrong icon appears on web notifications.

Known issues: 

• There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
  • Last month, some users got a “Work” account automatically added to the browser that wasn’t removable. Although we recently enabled the ability for some users to remove this account, there’s still an issue where users who are signed into Windows with a work or school account may not be able to remove that account from the browser. 
  • Clicking a link on one virtual desktop currently opens a new tab in a window on a different virtual desktop if there’s no window open on the current desktop but there is on another. This is a regression from past behavior, which opened a new window on the current desktop. 
  • Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix.  Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there. 
  • Sometimes the browser will appear to not respond to any user input (clicking or scrolling in webpages doesn’t do anything, hovering over UI doesn’t make it change), but clicking on certain buttons still works (like the … menu). The cause of this is due to an error in the GPU process, and opening the browser task manager (right-click near the window minimize/maximize/close buttons or hit shift+esc on the keyboard) will open a window that will allow you to end the GPU process, which will fix the issue.  This issue was inherited from upstream Chromium, and a fix for it just went in upstream, so the next Dev update should have it.

We won’t be updating next week due to the holidays, but in the meantime we’re very thankful for all your feedback and suggestions! 

60 Replies

@josh_bodner Sorting in the "Mobile Favorites" folder does not work. There was also a problem in previous versions of Dev. 

@josh_bodner Thanks for  finally adding the ability to sort favourites.  However the process was not exactly intuitive like it is in the old Edge.  In old Edge I could right click on the pop down favourites list.  Whereas in the Chromium version I have to go to manage favourites and then search for exactly the right place to right click.  

So better than no sorting but no where near as good as the old Edge ... or even IE.

@josh_bodner 

Still no option to directly open a downloading file (without first saving it) 

All other MS browsers support this feature.

Annotation 2019-10-03 101542.png

@josh_bodner Another update, still NO scrolling fixes even a week after scrolling issues were said to be addressed.

Please... just directly translate the ENTIRE scrolling and zooming behaviour from the Classic MS Edge/UWP source code...

To make Classic Edge, how did Microsoft take the Win32-centric Internet Explorer and make the scrolling actually better than every other browser including Safari on iOS (the OS where today's touch scrolling experience originated)?

You need to do the same for Edge Chromium. In part due to Chromium's weird relationship with Win32 and half-hearted attempts to make Chromium's UI platform-agnostic, it has various rendering issues everywhere across the UI (e.g. tooltips were previously rendering with incomplete borders, or the still longstanding issue of the address toolbar having a 2px grey bottom border on HiDPI screens when maximised but not when minimised). I believe these also affect the scrolling behaviour.

Why is Internet Explorer Mode scrolling and zooming 60 FPS within Chromium Edge but Chromium Edge's own scrolling/zooming behaviour terrible in comparison?

I will upload a video comparison of Edge Chromium and Classic Edge/IE Mode rendering and scrolling behaviour later/tomorrow.

THREAD about what needs to be done: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/What-needs-to-be-done-to-improve-scrolling-and-zo...

Please make it a priority to:

1. Make scrolling 60+ FPS as you managed to do for Classic Edge (despite being based on Internet Explorer). Chromium Edge LAGS noticeably in comparison.
  2. Fix the scroll arrows. They are Windows 7 style on Windows 10.
  3. Make 2 finger scrolling bounce within HTML "div", "input" elements. Not only the main browsing area as is presently the case.
  4. Make 2 finger pinch zooming bounce in the main content area when reaching zooming in/out limits.

If needed I will even work for free to be your scrolling QA Lead...

The quality of scrolling in Chromium Edge, in most if not all areas, is unacceptable.  You could make even Internet Explorer's scrolling/zooming perfect. You can do it for Chromium Edge....

Just curious, is there a reason that the Overlay Scrollbar is missing from the Flags? i like the hide-able scrollbar but this feature has been missing from the Dev browser for quite some updates now.

@josh_bodner "we’ve temporarily disabled sync to prevent any more data duplication."

I checked my settings. Sync is still on. Should I manually disable it if it haven't been disabled automatically? or... Is this change serverside?

Thanks in advance :)

This update has made Dev almost unusable for me. Sites take forever to load, images are squares until it finally loads the page fully (20sec-1min). Chrome works just fine, etc.

Restarted browser multiple times, restarted PC as well.

Anyone else seeing this?

Update: noticed the last bullet point about the GPU process - this helped for a few minutes but then back to crawling.

@josh_bodner 

The touch keyboard is still broken on Surface

no fixes on the old bugs and a destroyed sorting function

On Dev and Canary channels, I'm still getting logged out of Disqus whenever I refresh or open a new page. At least the "PlayReady DRM for Windows 10" flag was reimplemented, which needs to be disabled in order to have HD playback on Amazon Prime Video content. Looks like I'll have to stick to Beta build until Edge Chromium goes gold in January.

Regarding the bug with the GPU process, does anyone know which build number has that fix? I will switch the canary just for that. I suffer from it on my work (Intel HD), and home PC (Nvidia).

I'm seeing this as well.
Yes, same here. Pages take forever to load since the update. The problem has carried over from the Canary channel. The Beta channel is still unaffected.

@Jordan Paris 

Super slow response here too. Status bar showing lots of "waiting for..." at the bottom left as pages slowly load up.

@Yoneff in case you haven't seen it yet, we've got a discussion going here about what you'd like to see us do with that feature:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Provide-run-open-save-save-as-options-when-downlo....  

@Jordan Paris and everybody else seeing this, we finally got this issue root caused today, and it has to do with what kind of TPM your machine has, which is why not everybody is seeing this.  The fix for it should be in either tomorrow or Friday's Canary, and we're hoping to also patch Dev with this fix since we aren't doing a full Dev update next week and don't want to leave people hanging.  

Hi, I'm still facing this issue, and have been for weeks
> Fixed an issue where Netflix playback fails with error D7356.

Linked with this is the unmanageable 'clutter' that the new Edge creates in the Downloads folder. 80% of the time I don't want a copy of a downloaded file stored permanently on my computer; I just want to download and Open it. Please look at implementing the suggestion by @josh_bodner, and stop (permanently) storing files I don't want stored.

@josh_bodner  -- Does anyone have issues with their profile picture not showing on this build?  The previous one was okay, but this build is blank.  I signed out and back in to see and even editing it shows the correct picture on MS site.

For those who have Canary channel, have the freeze caused by GPU process hanging and Disqus being repeatedly logged out issues fixed?