Ability to disable cookie sharing with InPrivate browsing

Microsoft

It would be fantastic if we could add an option to disable cookie sharing between different InPrivate windows and/or tabs.  I use multiple admin accounts and currently have to use InPrivate across multiple browsers today since cookies are shared within an InPrivate session.  If we provided a setting to disable this behavior then I could use a single browser moving forward.  This is a common problem with all browsers today and not just Edge.  This feature would set Edge apart from all the other browsers on the market and very convenient for admins.

9 Replies
Hi, it's great to see someone else mentioned this!
because when I opened a topic to request this, it didn't receive the attention it deserved and got abandoned
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Block-cookies-sharing-between-Different-InPrivate...

hopefully now that a Microsoft Employee asked for it too, they will consider it more seriously :)

@tomdan and @HotCakeX: thank you both for bringing this feedback to our attention! I've reached out to our Privacy product team and will loop back with you if they have any questions or insights.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted Hi there! Just checking in to see if there's any news on this topic. Would love to have this feature. I need to log in to many different environments every day, and would love to be able to do this in separate inprivate windows without cookie sharing.

@Hap Thanks for reaching out about this. I followed up with the team to see if they have any updates!

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Hap Our InPrivate team reviewed this feedback and has a potential workaround to the scenario that @tomdan mentioned. This might not be the ideal final experience, but we hope this helps for now!

"One workaround would be to set up a profile for each of your admin accounts in Microsoft Edge. This would separate your logins from each window, and you could choose a different profile picture to help distinguish the profiles from each other."

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted I was aware of this workaround, but thanks for coming back to me.

Ideally every InPrivate windows would not share cookies, to be truly private and separate from everything else. Has the team mentioned anything about putting this on the roadmap, or are they planning to implement this at all? I was hoping they would have taken a stance on this by now.

It's now 2022-August and to my knowledge, this still is an issue. or at least with Default Edge settings it is. If there was work on this, I'd love to know. If there hasn't been work on this, shame on MS. There are MANY admins out there (and growing every minute) like myself who need to login with 3+ different accounts at a time just for "normal" things, ignoring the fact I also have service accounts to use from time to time.

I hate having 4 browsers installed. But. this is the way.

and on another note, I would like to see an option for keeping cookies from sharing in between ANY windows. even non-InPrivate windows shouldn't share unless explicitly allowed. So, unless they already don't share and I'm just a noob, just have an option to do it across the board.

@Tom_Bailey  have you tried launching Edge with --user-data-dir={dir1}  and --user-data-dir={dir2} etc.? Works with Chrome anyway.