Error in installation: Office 2021 Pro instead of Office 365 Family is installed

Copper Contributor

Prior to signing up for Office 365 Family, in march 2022, three of my PCs had office 2021 pro installed. only one of the three PCs has its license key registered (or maybe attached) to my Microsoft account. On the other two machines, I was able to do a full uninstall, then install office 365 Family with no issues at all.

When I do the full uninstall of Office 2021 pro on the linked PC; even with the help of the 'Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant'. When I attempt to add that PC to my list of 365 Family subscriptions, the account product information says:

John_Gray_0-1648321503894.png

Additionally, the linked PC does NOT show on the list of subscribed devices either. however, when I run the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant again; it finds only office 365 and uninstalls it, not both 365 and Pro 2021.

all three PCs are Win 11 Pro 64-bit with valid product keys. The download for the 365 Family was also 64-bit for each PC. Would manually changing the license key to the 365 family key do the trick? Also, would that free the office pro-2021 key for future use? Thank you for your assistance.

John Gray

1 Reply
I was able to solve this issue by changing the license key. When I clicked Change license. when I did that I was able to select from 365 Family or Office 2021 pro. I did this for all the apps in the suite.