SOLVED

Microsoft 365 Now Can Buy Mix Plan Over 300 Lic ?

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Copper Contributor

Hi 

I've heard the news that I can't Mix Plan Business that exceeds 300 is it true or not?
Currently, I have a customer who buys a Mix Plan Business that exceeds 300, can I still back it up or not? If not, I'd like to request a ref link from Microsoft.

For example, buy Microsoft 365 Business Basic 300 Lic And Microsoft 365 Business Standard 300 Lic.

Or have to buy any Plan Business Plan but the total amount is not more than 300 Lic ? 

30 Replies
best response confirmed by namlovely2011 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @namlovely2011 ,

here the ref links:

Termshttps://www.microsoft.com/licensing/terms/en-US/productoffering/Microsoft365/MCA 

ClaudioStallone_0-1688446920075.png

M365 FAQhttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/business/microsoft-365-frequently-asked-questions

ClaudioStallone_1-1688446983548.png

If this (or someone else's) reply answers your question, please Accept as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Otherwise, please let me know if you need further assistance on this topic.

@Claudio Stallone I heard from my reseller that I can mix license's above 300 all up, it means I can add to tenant 280 Business Standard and 72 Business Basic with annual commitment and is not a problem. So how I should approach to your ref links? I should add that this is my actual scenario so where is the true? Microsoft can turn off licenses above 300? Interesting...Many Thanks.

Hi @JenyM,

I have already received several Feedbacks from different Microsoft employees regarding this and there were both statements:

• First, that the 300 seats is limited to the license and not to the combined volume over all M365 Business licenses.
  • The other is that the total volume cannot be more than 300.

But as you can read in the FAQ, it is clearly defined that the limit of 300 users may not be exceeded.

In the Terms, which is also the more important statement, I find rather misleading with "Customer may not provision more than 300 user subscription licenses." This can also mean that the 300 user subscription licenses applies per license and not in the total volume over all M365 business licenses.

But here it is the combination of the Terms and the FAQ and so it is not allowed to have more than 300 licenses in the total volume over all M365 Business licenses.

Or how do you see this @LicensingConcierge1?

Hi @Claudio Stallone @JenyM @namlovely2011 

This post was made under "Multi-Country partners". I do not manage/moderate this community.

However, based on the subject matter, this should have been posted under Business Application community. I'll be able to respond thereafter. 

Regards, 

LC

Hi @namlovely2011 

M365 is a Modern Work product, but inquiries for M365 (formerly O365) can be posed under the Business Applications (BizApps) community. 

You'd use applicable labels, such as "m365", "business plans", and "mix business plans". For your convenience, I'll add the labels and move this post for you. :smile:

Regards, 

LC

Hi @namlovely2011 

Yes, customers may mix & match Microsoft 365 plans. 

You're also correct in that certain products, such as Microsoft 365 Business Basic, Apps for business, Business Standard, and Business Premium plans have a collective limit of 300 users.  Ex: customers may purchase 200 Business Premium seats & 100 Business Standard seats = 300 seats.  What is Microsoft 365 for Business? - FAQs | Microsoft 365

Sounds like the customer needs more than 300 seats (users), so click on the following link to purchase Microsoft 365 for business plan add-ons - Buy or manage add-ons | Microsoft Learn

FYI: Customers may add Enterprise plans to business plans listed above. Those Enterprise plans are unlimited.

If this (or someone else's) reply answers your question, please Accept as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Otherwise, please let me know if you need further assistance on this topic.

Regards,

Microsoft CSP Licensing Concierge

@JenyM please see the information that I provided today :smile:

Regards

Microsoft LC

I think that it really needs official statement from Microsoft & update in Product Terms -

Spoiler
Spoiler

Based on FAQ & infromation provided by MS Sales to customers, they shall not have more than 300 combined seats of Microsoft 365 Basic/Standard/Premium.

This also You can find in FAQ: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/product-licensing/microsoft-365-business

PiotrP_0-1704959081474.png

But binding legal document, which are Product Terms shows different statement:

PiotrP_1-1704959081478.png

There is nowhere mentioned combined amount of seats. So reading- it leads to interpretation than limit of 300 seats applies per plan (Basic/Standard/Premium)……

More to underline- Product Terms clearly stating, that FAQ is not part of it. So FAQ is not binging document to customer.

Do You have may be some official supporting document, which clearly identify those limits & which shows clear interpretation?

Customer is bound by Product Terms & he is not obliged to follow FAQ it those are different ☹

Everybody understand idea & how it shall be implemented, but in fact seems to be that supporting legal documents are not clear …

I saw already few tenants with 300 Business Plans enabled & we are pretty sure that any action against those customers will result in loosing any case in court by Microsoft- thanks to own MS documents :(. 

So this shall be clarified- until it is not intentionally to do it not clear ;)

Hi @Deleted,

Here is the official statement from Microsoft from 21.12.2023:

Microsoft 365 Business product cloud solution provider legacy purchase limitations and cloud solution provider new commerce migration guidelines

Summary

A small number of legacy subscriptions for small business SKUs will not be Microsoft-led migrated to new commerce because they exceed the 300-seat maximum limit.

Impacted audience

Direct bill partners and indirect providers receiving this notification have been identified as having at least one customer subscription impacted

Details

Our Microsoft 365 Business base per-user plans are designed for organizations with up to 300 users. We reserve the right to enforce a future tenant limit of 300 seats across the Business family of plans, in which case we will provide advance notice and further guidance. Customers with more than 300 users should consider subscribing to Microsoft 365 Enterprise plans.

This policy applies for the following Microsoft 365 per-user products:

• Microsoft 365 Business Basic
  • Microsoft 365 Business Standard
  • Microsoft 365 Business Premium
  • Microsoft 365 Apps for Business
  • Microsoft Defender for Business
  • Teams Essentials

During the Microsoft-led migration period, beginning January 11, 2024, subscriptions that exceed the established limits will not be renewed. Customer subscriptions with more than 300 active licenses for a legacy offer on a per-user product that falls under this policy will not be migrated to new commerce at renewal date. These subscriptions will then move to an expired state and cannot be reactivated. Enterprise SKUs are available, and customers who exceed the limit will need to purchase the corresponding products.

For customers considering subscribing to a Microsoft 365 Enterprise plan, partners should review the current “Do More With Less” Microsoft 365 E3 promotion. Details of this campaign can be found in the Global Promo Readiness Guide.

Next steps

Partners should consult with their customers to discuss how best to meet their needs. Refer to Offer limits and Migrate subscriptions to new commerce in the Partner Center.

Partners can determine which subscriptions are ineligible for migration by downloading the migration data export file. Subscriptions not migratable because of license limits will be flagged as Ineligible in the migration eligibility status column. These subscriptions will have the reason of “License limits defined for the offer have been reached or exceeded.

Hi @Claudio Stallone 

Thank You for reply.

Unfortunately it is not. You are reffering to guides & communication to partners. Accoring to MCS signed by Microsoft, the only binding document are Product Terms & same product terms are underlining that FAQ is not part of it.

So this question is about document binding relations between Microsoft & customer, where this is defined.

Regards

Piotr

Hi @Deleted 

LicensingConcierge1_0-1704991998954.png

Product Terms confirms the maximum seat count of 300:

LicensingConcierge1_2-1708529306324.png

On a side note and for future reference, there are several options to submit feedback: 

Join one of the Partner Community calls and input your feedback verbally or via chat during the meeting (even if your question if off topic) - Global CSP Listing Page (eventbuilder.com)

Additionally, as stated at the bottom of the first link, you're free to follow the M365 team and input your feedback: 

LicensingConcierge1_1-1704992264515.png

Otherwise, you're free to submit feedback on most Microsoft documents:

LicensingConcierge1_3-1704992349487.png

Regards,

Hi @claudio Stallone, do you have a source of this communication? I was not able to find this.

@LicensingConcierge1 & other member- please read carefully what has been stated here & can some native confirm that there is stated that COMBINED amount is 300 or is it not clear and those can be 300 per plan? 

Hi @Deleted 

LicensingConcierge1_0-1708986601527.png

For SMB, Microsoft 365 Business base per user plans.  The M365plans are designed for organizations with up to 300 usersOrganizations with more than 300 users should consider subscribing to Microsoft 365 Enterprise plans. What is Microsoft 365 for Business? - FAQs | Microsoft 365

• Per the snapshots from Product Terms@Claudio Stallone post/links, the answer to your question is that customers may not provision more than 300 user subscription licenses.
  • The following MS Learn Doc confirms that the maximum is 300Pricing and offers - Partner Center | Microsoft Learn
  • The NCE Handbook also confirms the maximum number of licenses is 300 - find the NCE Handbook in Partner Center (login req'd). I've attached the handbook for your convenience.
  • The Offer Matrix also indicates that the maximum number of licenses is 300 (on the MaxLicenses) column. The Offer Matrix can also be found in Partner Center. 

If this reply answers your question, please Accept as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Otherwise, please let me know if you need further assistance on this topic.

Regards,

Hi @DRMichiel 

No, I don't have a source for this, as we as partners received this as an email directly from Microsoft

Dear @Claudio Stallone,

I gave very straight forward question & still seems to be no answer. According to MCA only valid document & rule, which customer is obliged to follow document is Product Terms. Same PT clearly stating that FAQ are not part of those. I have putted snapshot of Product Terms where nowhere You can read that 300 limit is COMBINED limit for all plans. There is stating that there is 300 limit, which can be read as per plan. Sorry to say, but Handbook (however it is rule for partner) for customer is valid same way like obsolete train ticket. So question from customer is strigth forward " Can You clearly indicate statement in Product Terms (as only valid document according to Microsoft Customer Agreement", where 300 seats COMBINED limit for all seats is mentioned?

@Claudio Stallone I see, thank you for your reply.

Hi @Deleted 

As you can read in the Product Terms here: https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/terms/productoffering/Microsoft365/MCA

Microsoft 365 Business Basic/Standard/Premium Use Rights

Customer may not provision more than 300 user subscription licenses.

ClaudioStallone_0-1709022902188.png

It is therefore clearly regulated that you are not allowed to have more than 300 user subscriptions.

During the Microsoft-led migration period, beginning January 11, 2024, subscriptions that exceed the established limits will not be renewed. Customer subscriptions with more than 300 active licenses for a legacy offer on a per-user product that falls under this policy will not be migrated to new commerce at renewal date. These subscriptions will then move to an expired state and cannot be reactivated. Enterprise SKUs are available, and customers who exceed the limit will need to purchase the corresponding products.

Hi. No it is clearly regulated that for each of metioned plans Basic/Standard/Premium you cannot provision more than 300 units. :) I do believe that Microsoft shall update wording & this will solve customers concern. Same wordin is in Polish version.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by namlovely2011 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @namlovely2011 ,

here the ref links:

Termshttps://www.microsoft.com/licensing/terms/en-US/productoffering/Microsoft365/MCA 

ClaudioStallone_0-1688446920075.png

M365 FAQhttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/business/microsoft-365-frequently-asked-questions

ClaudioStallone_1-1688446983548.png

If this (or someone else's) reply answers your question, please Accept as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Otherwise, please let me know if you need further assistance on this topic.

View solution in original post