License Key Expiration for Business Central on-premises Subscription and NAV Subscription

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I found a recent article in Business Center: License Key Expiration for Business Central on-premises Subscription and NAV Subscription (https://businesscenter.mbs.microsoft.com/#contentdetail/dynamics-sub-updates-2402)

I wonder if anyone got any further details or tips how this works in practice.

Thank you for your help.

7 Replies
Can you share the article text here? The article is locked behind PartnerSource login and I would like to get more info regarding this as well.

Hi @ritafekete 

1. Unfortunately, I do not have access to PartnerSource, so I cannot review the information in your link. Please reply with a specific question about licensing in D365 Business Central (formerly NAV) to better assist.
  2. Since your question is more closely related to business central, I'll move this to the correct community, which is the Business Applications/BizApps

Microsoft CSP Licensing Concierge

Asked a partner of mine to share the content of the article:

"Effective February 26, 2024, customers with subscriptions to Dynamics 365 Business Central on-premises and Dynamics NAV must download and replace their license keys every six months for continued use of the licensed product.

The expiration date on license keys for Business Central on-premises Subscription and NAV Subscription is based on the end date of the current month’s subscription (i.e., when downloaded) and a buffer period. Partners are responsible for ensuring that customer subscriptions are kept up-to-date and products are not used beyond their licensed subscription term; customers are not permitted to use an expired subscription product during the license key’s buffer period.

Customers can download new license keys by signing into CustomerSource Center and navigating to My Account > Product and Service Summary > Registration Keys.

Partners can download license keys for their customer by signing into PartnerSource Business Center and navigating to Partner Focus > Reporting > Customer List. Select the customer name and then download the customer license keys from the Registration Keys link on the Customer Summary page."

I guess this forces partners to re-upload the NAV/BC on-premises subscription every 6-months. Which is a lot of extra administration and work.. 

My best-practice would be to try to align the on-premises subscriptions dates, so that you 'only' have to re-upload the .flfs 2x every year for all customers, instead of having the re-upload the .flfs every months for a few customers. 

More details on what happens when the partner hasn't re-uploaded the .flf would helpful. 

Also more details regarding the buffer period is welcome. What does this mean? Can the customer continue to use the service? How long is the buffer period? 

Hi @MartijnElfers 

I do not have this announcement in my resource, therefore, I can't speak to it's contents. 

Would you mind sending me the actual document/announcement to: cspq@microsoft.com please?

Regards,

@MartijnElfers 

As a follow up, I haven't received an email from you or @ritafekete with this documentation.

4/2/21 UPDATE -@ritafekete  emailed a snapshot of the update...thank you @ritafekete.

I cannot locate information on my side, which means that I'm unable to answer any questions on this topic unfortunately. 

However, my suggestion is that you both do one of the following:

1. LicensingConcierge1_1-1712066581120.jpeg

@ritafekete , if you are a Microsoft Reseller in CSP, you work with Indirect Providers (aka Distributors) who have a direct relationship with Microsoft and can provide you with customer support, pricing, and billing that help to ensure your success.

Regards,

@LicensingConcierge1 

Thanks for the updates and sorry for a delayed reply - we had a public holiday here.

I will send an email to the support team and also contact my reseller for information.

Thanks everyone and have a great rest of the day!

Regards, Rita

@ritafekete

Are you able to get any further details and how it's work in practice for the License Key Expiration for Business Central on-premises Subscription and NAV Subscription effective 26 February 2024?