Personal desktop direct assignment is now available!

Microsoft

You can now directly assign users to registered session hosts in a personal desktop host pool, allowing you to migrate personal desktop workloads to Windows Virtual Desktop. You can also set the host pool to require direct assignment, so incoming users do not claim an unassigned session host.

To do so, you can follow the latest doc Configure the personal desktop host pool assignment type, using the latest version of our PowerShell module (version 1.0.1534.2001).

5 Replies
Hi Christian, I'm having issues with the -AssignedUser, in test I have created two personal desktops, but with only one user defined, this user works no problem, I would now like to define a second user to the other VM, but the -AssignedUser does not work.
What error are you getting? Also, you will need to add them to the app group as well, so that the personal desktop appears in their feed.

@Christian_Montoya  How would this work in my case. I have 3 non-persistant Windows virtual servers for all users to use. I have one host pool for the session hosts. I want to dedicate one user to the second session host. Do I need to create another dedicated host pool for the second server and assign that user to the dedicated host pool and session host? and then assign the user to the apps host pool. I assume I need to remove her from the host pool she is currently in.   

Can a session host be in 2 host pools ? Does this mean that I will have the user assigned to one dedicated session host and 1 dedicated host pool?   

@Eric Fehn : Hopefully I get what you're asking, in which case I think you were most correct.

Basically, it sounds like you'll need 2 host pools. Primarily, an entire host pool is either marked as Pooled or Personal. So in the Personal host pool, you would create the VMs you plan on having those direct assignments to. In this case, you would create that 2nd host pool that is marked as Personal and assign that user to both a specific session host and also the "Desktop Application Group" for the host pool.

Regarding the current pool...you don't necessarily need to remove that user from the current Pooled host pool. If you don't remove that user though, they will be able to access both pools and perhaps have their data/documents spread across both. If you don't want that to happen, then yes, remove the user from the current Pooled host pool.