Not able to Connect to AVD VM which is joined to Onprem AD

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Issue

I have AVD Environment having 3 Host VM's

2 VM - joined Azure AD

1 VM - joined Onprem AD

Azure AD Joined VM's works without any issue. but when i try to access 1 VM in Onprem AD trough the AVD Web client, i am getting this error

"We couldn't connect to the gateway because of an error. If this keeps happening, ask your admin or tech support for help."

I need to clarify below

01. Can I connect AVD Host which is joined to Onprem AD that is not Sync to Azure AD

appreciate your help to clarify above and if the answer is yes please tell me how i can configure that

Thanks

4 Replies

Hi @Anuradha_Samaranayake,

Yes, you can connect to an AVD Host which is joined to Onprem AD that is not Sync to Azure AD.

To do this, you will need to:

1. Configure site-to-site VPN or ExpressRoute between your on-premises network and Azure. This will provide network connectivity between the two environments.
  2. Configure the AVD Host to trust your on-premises domain. You can do this by adding the on-premises domain to the local trusted domains list on the AVD Host.
  3. Create a new host pool in Azure Virtual Desktop. When creating the host pool, select the Other option for the domain join type. This will allow you to join the AVD Host to your on-premises domain.
  4. Add the AVD Host to the new host pool.
  5. Assign users to the new host pool.

Once you have completed these steps, you will be able to connect to the AVD Host from the AVD Web client.

However, it is important to note that this configuration is not supported by Microsoft. If you encounter any problems, you may not be able to get support from Microsoft.

If you decide to use this configuration, you should test it thoroughly and make sure that it meets your needs. You should also have a backup plan in case something goes wrong.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

Hi Leon,
Hi @LeonPavesic,

1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th steps are okay, i have done all these, but step 2nd can you tell me how to do that? or share any document related to that?

@Anuradha_Samaranayake 

You can connect AVD Host which is joined to Onprem AD, but it need to make sure DC and DNS service allowed

@Kidd_Ip 

DNS allowed and the host status as healthy

Anuradha_Samaranayake_0-1696070057048.png