New to Azure Virtual Desktop

Copper Contributor

Hello All,

We are brand new to Azure, thinking about using of Azure Virtual Desktop to decommission our on-prem VDI environment, to start with we are planning to create Azure VD's for 9 developers, I read the documentation and thinking of going for Personal as pool type as they are kind of heavy users, and read about using FSLogix as profile container tool. I have created Host pool, added one VM to host pool for testing purposes, created storage account and added storage account as computer object to our AD DS, mounted file share as drive , now confused about Group policy templates mentioned here : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/how-to-use-group-policy-templates , can someone provide some insights on this ? I didn't understand the purpose of making these Group policy changes and does this need to be done on our AD DS ?

Any help would be really appreciated ..

2 Replies
Hi,
The GPO is to configure the settings for FSLogix, so that the hosts known where the profiles are located.
You need to place the admx and adml files in the correct location. If you don't won't to use a GPO and the devices are enrolled in Intune you can also use an Intune configuration profile.

Hi Narendra0467,

Which LOB applications will the developers be using? RAM/CPU are important factors in choosing the right Azure VM size.

These are my experiences:
- I always store my user profiles on a Windows file server (Azure VM) or in Azure files. IOPS are important; sometimes a Windows file server is still the best solution.

- I always use FSLogix for user profile management.
- I never use personal host pools. When using pooled host pools, It's always better to use several smaller Azure VMs than one big Azure VM size.

- All of my environments are using GPO's. None of them are managed by Intune.