Best practices for Azure Virtual Desktop monthly patching.

Occasional Reader

I'm learning about Azure Virtual Desktop having formerly been heavily involved with Citrix Desktop as a Service (DaaS).

In Citrix, we update a catalog of VDI Machines (many hundreds at a time) by replacing the Base Disk with a new Golden Image snapshot - this process is called a Machine Catalog Update.

What is the best practice method of updating a large number of MS Azure Virtual Desktop VM's built from a Golden Image?  I'm specifically looking to update the Golden Image monthly (at least) with LoB Application Updates, Windows Critical Updates, MS Office 365 updates and ay new application changes required by the organisation.

Any advice gratefully welcomed.

Graeme

2 Replies
I would suggest to use some IAAC tools like ARM templates/Biceps to build Azure image builder, integrate with scheduled Pipelines (every month). with Azure image builder, you have all the LoB and updates are backed in the new image from gallery and ready in your image definition in Azure compute Gallery every month on your scheduled date. Then just spin up new machines in hostpool and delete the one, once they are vacant.

Hi GNMurray

Most of my SMB customers don't periodically rebuild AVD session hosts from golden images, but use just patch management software to manage monthly patching.