Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac - Copy and paste works a while then fails

Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac - Copy and paste works a while then fails

Upvotes

Upvote

Sep 18 2023
11 Comments (11 New)
New

Using Mac OS X 12.6.8 and Remote Desktop 10.9.2.  Beginning two versions back (10.9.0?), copy and paste works for a while after launching RD, but it eventually fails when copying from the remote machine to the local Mac.  The failure manifests as a spinning beach ball in the application I'm pasting into.  The paste operation eventually times out, but the quickest way to recover is to quit Remote Desktop and start the whole operation over again with the copy.

Comments
Copper Contributor

I can confirm this is happening in our organization as well. It doesn't matter if it's a single word or a 500 rows of information from a SQL query results. Both copy/paste results in a failure to paste the test from the remote desktop into Mac application and a spinning wheel/beachball. 

Copper Contributor

I have been experiencing this issue for almost 2 years already, the only way I have found to restore the ability to copy-paste is by copy-pasting from the remote desktop to the remote desktop, and then trying to use this function from outside to inside the remote desktop (or the inverse). Not sure if this is exactly the same issue, but I think it is worth a try.

Copper Contributor

I've been seeing this same issue for the past few weeks. I'm using Mac OS 12.7 and RDC 10.9.3. It started when I updated RDC a few weeks ago and hoped that one of the bug fixes since then would have fixed it but the problem is continuing to happen. I get a beach ball when copying from a Windows environment and pasting the content into various Mac apps including Text Edit, Slack and Chrome. It happens at least once per day. It could work five times in a row normally and then suddenly, I get a beach ball and the app I'm trying to paste into becomes non-responsive for about 30-60 seconds. It will typically clear and then start working again for me.

I've also noticed some trouble copying from the Mac and into the Windows login prompt as well recently but I'm not sure if that's related or not.

Copper Contributor

I'm having the same problem -- over and over and over.  It's surely a bug and makes it hard to do work.  

Brass Contributor

This continues to happen and even seems to be getting worse.  If it's significant, I'm nearly always copying from Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio on the Windows computer and pasting into an application on the Mac.  I have seen the issue when pasting data copied from other applications as well, so it's unlikely that SSMS factors into the issue in any way.

Copper Contributor

I'm experiencing this issue as well, it's very frustrating. I've posted a ticket in the Azure Remote Desktop section for this; feel free to upvote so hopefully this gets more traction.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-virtual-desktop-feedback/remote-desktop-for-mac-10-9-4-...

Copper Contributor

I'm finding now that only some Mac applications get the spinning beach ball whereas others keep working. Slack is the biggest culprit. Simply clicking on the Slack application after having been using RDC will trigger the beach ball for a minute or two. While that's happening, I can usually use Chrome or other apps on my Mac. RDC also remains usable during this time.

I'm now using RDC 10.9.5 (2179) and the latest Slack app (4.36.136) and it keeps happening at least once per day when switching from RDC to Slack, whether or not I've explicitly just copied something or not from within the RDC client.

Copper Contributor

@DaveB_CT this matches my experiences as well. 

Copper Contributor

@DaveB_CT I've had Slack get the spinning beach ball as well, but at first I did not associate that with RDC because I wasn't pasting into Slack.  This condition in every other application is triggered by trying to paste from the clipboard.  I now think Slack is a victim of this RDC bug.  I suspect the problem is still only clipboard related, so it makes me wonder what Slack is doing with the clipboard.  Does it retrieve the contents every time it's brought to the foreground?  Apparently it does; I just found this which offers a way (from Slack support) to disable this behavior.

Copper Contributor

I have this problem when copying from Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio. Changing the font has fixed this issue for me, as described here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-virtual-desktop-feedback/mac-remote-desktop-crashing-wh...

I assumed the clipboard was copying plain text, but it must be including the font, and I don't have that same font on Mac. Switching grid font to Courier worked for me. 

Copper Contributor

Just here to update that the latest version of Remote Desktop for Mac (v10.9.6) still has this problem.