Searching pdf files using Natural Language

Copper Contributor

I'm new to all the Azure services and have been tasked with finding a solution to search a collection of pdf files using natural language queries.  One use case would be to search resumés by saying (or entering) something like. "Find me all the candidates who have worked for XYZ company within the last 5 years".

It looks like Azure Cognitive Search could be very useful for this.  I've created a search service, and resource and data source etc and have successfully done a simple text search of my file.  The resulting JSON looks like it did a good identifying all the various text concepts (names and places etc).  I'm overwhelmed with all the various services that are available.  If anyone can give a little newbie guidances as to which direction to go it would be greatly appreciated and would save me insane amounts of time running down rabbit holes looking for the correct services to use for my purposes.  Thanks.

1 Reply

@TPMeehan 

Here are a few resources to get you started with Azure Cognitive Search.

Cognitive Search related Presentations

Cognitive Search Documentation Resources

Full List of documentation resources here, but I recommend technical folks that want to get their feet wet with our technology to start with:

As far as the specific problem you are trying to solve.

You could extract terms such as the name of companies (Organizations) from the Resumes and push that information into a "Companies" field. And then create a query that would filter based on the Organization.

Best of luck,

-Luis Cabrera

PM, Azure Cognitive Search