Yammer groups are now Office 365 Groups

Microsoft

Hi everyone,

As you might have heard, Yammer will soon integrate into the Office 365 Groups service. Once this is available in your network, you can create an Office 365 Group that uses either Outlook email or Yammer to communicate and share information.

We have a great topic that explains how this works: Yammer groups are now Office 365 Groups.

Please feel free to leave your comments and feedback at the bottom of the help topic, and let us know what you think.  

Anahita

Microsoft Office Newsroom

20 Replies

I think you pointed to PPE, Anahita.

@Anahita Bahrami the web link to the article you mentioned does not work - page not found error.

Good catch!

Here's the correct link: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Yammer-groups-are-now-Office-365-Groups-d8c239dc-a48b-47ab-...

Another conversation on this topic is also happening here in the community. 

Sorry about that everyone. I fixed the link. Let me know if it's still not working.

And thank you, Lana, for posting the right link.

How do I turn off the ability for end users to create groups in Yammer. This previously was not available to my knowledge, but now that your going to force a teamsite in my tightly governed sharepoint environment I need to be able to turn off group creation for end users in yammer. 

Wait. You said "tightly governed" and "Yammer" in the same sentence. 

Yammers always been our place to kind of let users do what they want, make their I love cats groups, chat about nonsense.... you know, what it was meant for. Now that the scope of that is going to creep into my SharePoint environment I am kind of concerned is all :)

I think the Yammer team would disagree pretty strongly about "what it's meant for" :) I would *highly* recommend the first 15 min of this Ignite session for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvemZ1qm2Dw - the whole session is really informative, though.

What are you governing in SharePoint that you believe won't be governed by these new Yammer-generated team sites? To my understanding, they're no different than the team sites created by any other workload.

I think the bottom line really Chris is that Data in SharePoint Online is not free. In fact its pretty expensive at $.20 per GB Per Mo. My Organization has alloted our data across a certain set of site collections and we plan on using every bit of that allotment once our intranet is up and running. We dont have room in the governance plan to allot extra storage to random yammer groups. 

Ah, fair point. I guess I'd alter the role of Yammer in the company. If you're really just using it as strictly watercooler, non-critical chat... that's what Facebook is for. I'd honestly just unlicense Yammer and don't use it. If on the other hand, your Yammer groups aren't "random" but are driving true business value and increased productivity, then surely the data usage consumption doesn't matter if it's driven by standalone SP sites or sites-connected-to-a-Yammer-group?

After watching the video from the Ignite session you provided I can definately see how it could be helpful to change the workflows some of our departments use and move them into yammer. I think especially for our Events Management team who have to move quickly when coordinating event changes. We own multiple venues that have to change upon the desired event on almost a daily basis. Im going to forward it on to my Management team and guage their reaction to what the Yammer team is envisioning here. Hopefully I will get a positive response! I would hate to have to unlicense another solution. We just did that with Planner when It was announced that each plan would get a teamsite. We have turned off the ability for end users to create on the fly groups in office 365 also.

Hi - I've also had some questoins coming up in the Nestlé team working with @Deleted around the experience with existing Modern Groups and Yammer groups. Couple of scenarios:

For existing Modern Groups - do they get the opportunity to switch to having a Yammer feed?

For existing Yammer groups - does an O365 group get created automatically?

For SPO sites with Yammer integrations, will their be an opportunity to intervene in the group creation process and ensure that the right Yammer group gets incorporated to the right site? How will this work?

@Clifford Kennedy

@Robert Woods I'm pretty sure this was mentioned in the Groups session, if you've removed the ability to create groups then when a group is created in Yammer is will just be a normal Yammer group as today, at least in the initial stages of the integration.

For existing Modern Groups - do they get the opportunity to switch to having a Yammer feed?

Currently no, maybe in the future but not planned.

For existing Yammer groups - does an O365 group get created automatically?

In the second phase of deployment existing Yammer Groups will get the other features added. That's some way off.

For SPO sites with Yammer integrations, will their be an opportunity to intervene in the group creation process and ensure that the right Yammer group gets incorporated to the right site? How will this work?

We didn't hear any specific plans around this, I think Yammer are probably interested in people's requirements. They did really want to create the groups and migrate the document content from the group into it, out of Yammer.

Yes Sir, I finally read the Topic @Anahita Bahrami linked to in the top of this post and it does specifically state that! Thanks for your follow up. 

is there anything additional I need to do within our Tenant to have this feature active.

We appear to meet the criteria,; we have a single tenant, and O365 identities in Yammer.

With 6 days remaining until we start a new work year (Feb 1) - I'd love to have the O365 Resources listing on the right hand side of my New Yammer groups.

Thanks.. C

Question about this specific line: " you can create an Office 365 Group that uses either Outlook email or Yammer to communicate and share information." 

At what point in the Groups creation workflow do you get to choose between Outlook email and Yammer for conversations? Does this choice only get presented when the Group is created from within Outlook?

You choose by creating the group from the platform you're in. If you create the group from Outlook, it's an Outlook Group. If you create it from Yammer, it's a Yammer group. Both groups will be managed by AAD, and both will get a connected SP site, Planner, Power BI workspace, etc.