Tracking video views in yammer via vimeo link

Occasional Contributor

Hello, what is the best way to track video views from a video post in yammer? For example, if i create a yammer post and share a video URL from Vimeo - will the views in the yammer post be tracked by Vimeo? Or if i share the URL of a Stream video, will the views be tracked in Microsoft Stream? My concern is that the video is just a URL in the post, so I'm unsure if the views will be tracked? By sharing the URL of the video, does that embed the video in a post?

Thanks

Allison 

4 Replies
Yammer will convert a link from common streaming options like Vimeo, YouTube and Stream to an embedded video player. In my experience they all track views from embedded players just fine.

One of the strengths of Yammer is that it is easy to test things like this if you create a private group for yourself and use it as a sandbox.

hi@Geoffrey Bronner , thank you for your reply. Yes, that is what I have done - created a test group in yammer. I'm now just waiting to see if Vimeo recognises the video views in yammer...perhaps I need to wait 24 hours for the Vimeo analytics to update? 

@Geoffrey Bronner  i now have the issue where yammer does not fetch the thumbnail and description of my Vimeo video? I've tried al the options - making the video public and hidden and both times it won't fetch the details. I have another video where it has the same settings but it does work. I can't work out why one video works and one video does not - do you have any experience of this?

Thanks

Allison 

Not sure, I do not use a ton of content from Vimeo but the details have worked fine when I do.