Options for a calendar?

Contributor

I just noticed that the soon to be released Office 365 Groups integration will not include a calendar until future updates. Is there an alternative reccomendation for giving a Yammer group access to a calendar. I was hoping the Groups integration was going to give me the calendar that I needed, but I see that won't happen for a while. Thanks for any suggestions!

11 Replies
There's not much to stop you creating an Outlook group, set it to be public and then create a link to the calendar in your Yammer groups pinned items. The group integration would unify the membership list, but if it's not sensitive then I don't think there's an issue. The calendar in an outlook group comes from the exchange mailbox, in a Yammer group there is no mailbox so no calendar. I'm pretty sure that it was something talked about as 'coming' at Ignite.
Then you have the whole two-conversation streams problem, but it's probably better than trying a SharePoint calendar :(

@Steven Collier wrote:
The group integration would unify the membership list, but if it's not sensitive then I don't think there's an issue.

Steven, can you elaborate on what this means? I'm not following. What is meant by "unify the membership list?" How exactly would I do this?  What do you mean about "sensitive?"

Thank you!

I see your point, but I find more and more (much to my frustration) that people just don't explore their software very much, at least not in the workplace. At least where I work, I would not be too concerned that conversation would veer off into Outlook from Yammer.

@Edward Lee wrote:

@Steven Collier wrote:
The group integration would unify the membership list, but if it's not sensitive then I don't think there's an issue.

Steven, can you elaborate on what this means? I'm not following. What is meant by "unify the membership list?" How exactly would I do this?  What do you mean about "sensitive?"

Thank you!

@Steven Collier, can you elaborate on what you mean by "unify the membership list?" Thank you!

I mean when this future update comes when a Yammer group is assigned a calendar, as per your original message.

If you had a calendar in a public O365 Group then you could link to that already

I think I follow you now... My only option now is to create BOTH an Office 365 Group AND a Yammer Group. Have them include the same members. Put a link to the Office 365 group in the Yammer group.

Then, someday when calendars become part of Yammer groups, I can possibly merge the  old a new calendar together?

Thanks @Steven Collier.

p.s. It's amazing to me that Yammer has gone this long without a calendar feature. It seems so fundamental to people working together.

No, if you calendar is not sensitive you can create a public O365 group for the calendar, and publish a link in your Yammer group that anyone can see.

It's not sensitive.

I think I might still be a little confused though. :)

Right now, we have NEITHER an O365 group or a Yammer Group. We want a Yammer group for our team to collaborate. The team also needs a calendar. So, I'm thinking:

1. Create an O365 Group.

2. Create a Yammer Group with the same set of users.

3. Post the link to the O365 Group calendar in the newly created Yammer group.

Is this right? Thank you @Steven Collier!

If it's not sensitive create both groups as Public groups, then you don't need to manage the lists of users at all really.

Sounds good. Thank you!