Global Disable Yammer

Deleted
Not applicable

Can I disable Yammer globally within my office 365 tenant? I have seen scripts where I can do it on a per user basis but that means that I would have to run that script daily. Any other options?

4 Replies
While sad to see an organization opt out of Yammer entirely, I suppose you could choose to enforce Office 365 identity and not assign anyone a license. Mind me asking what the impetus is for restricting access to Yammer?

We just have no need for it and it is more confusing than helpful. We need to funnel all of our communications to specific places and Yammer is just another tangent that we have to control where not everyone is or will be on board.

Why do you need to control all communications?  I don't mean to argue; I very honestly and very sincerely want to understand.  It's probably obvious to you but to me it seems very foreign.  Could you please explain?

To ensure that nobody accesses Yammer, you can block every email address in your enterprise, which is actually very straightforward to do.  You can also block access based on IP address.  

I can understand restriction to external sites such as Facebook or Gmail to prevent IP leakage, but Yammer is already restricted do corporate people only.  And for those of us who have worked so hard to drive adoption, I would think all you really have to do is not try to get people to use it, and they won't.  

Again, would really appreciate you taking the time to explain why this would be useful to you, to disable the service altogether.

@Tom Kretzmer 

Just to dig up an old thread because I was looking for an improved way to do globally disable Yammer. The motivation for doing so has nothing to do with the product but rather limiting communication to officially sanctioned mediums. The end-users have no desire to use Yammer for whatever reason but just because they aren't choosing to use it doesn't mean that it falls out of scope of compliance and security requirements. As long as its possible for them to use the service, then IT has to continue to manage it and compliance officers have to continue putting work into ensuring that nothing leaks to it. We simply just want to unburden ourselves. This is akin to spinning up a server. Doesn't matter if its being used or not, it still has to be managed like it is.