Control of SharePoint Integation

Regular Contributor

Hi

Does anyone know of a way to turn off the SharePoint integration or the widget on the right of Yammer group pages?

Or, can we have greater control over where Yammer stores the SharePoint sites?

Thanks

8 Replies

You can disable Office 365 group creation for users and will then just get a normal Yammer group. This is also the case if you haven't enforced O365 identities in Yammer, but that's not something I would recommend. There is no way to change the behavior and you can't connect a SharePoint site to a Yammer group. All of this happens automatically during group creation. 

@Pooya Obbohat wrote:

You can disable Office 365 group creation for users and will then just get a normal Yammer group. This is also the case if you haven't enforced O365 identities in Yammer, but that's not something I would recommend. There is no way to change the behavior and you can't connect a SharePoint site to a Yammer group. All of this happens automatically during group creation. 

But if I disable O365 group creation, doesn't this also impact other products, such as the creation of Teams and Planner? Can I restrict this to just Yammer?

It will and I don't know of a way to disable it for Yammer only. There are some requirements for Office 365 connected Yammer groups:

- you need a 1:1 network/tenant configuration (this will be the case as Microsoft will stop supporting multiple networks on 1 tenant mid Oct.

- you need to enforce Office 365 licenses

You could decide not to enforce the licenses, but this just makes it more difficult to manage access. 

I'm assuming that you would like to connect existing SharePoint sites to Yammer groups as they already have content, but this is not possible and I'm not expecting them to add the feature. You can connect existing sites to a new Office 365 group, but there is no option to extend an Office 365 group with Yammer while you do have this option for Microsoft Teams. Would be nice if they would add that option for Yammer as well... 

What is your use case for not wanting files to be stored in the SharePoint Site associated with the Yammer group?

In this respect, Yammer is acting in accordance with all the other O365-Groups enabled endpoints (e.g. MS Teams, Planner, Forms) and storing files in the associated SharePoint site.

How do you access SharePoint resources from the Yammer mobile app if there is no explicit link in a post?

You would have to search for them or you need to use the SharePoint mobile application to open the connected Team site. 

I appreciate the rather belated efforts of Microsoft to update Yammer and its integration with the Office 365 ecosystem ... I am consistently dismayed by the fact that just 'doing the basics right and very well' seem to take a back seat to adding new features and functionality.  Simply going through a tick box exercise i.e. "Yammer is acting in accordance with all the other O365-Groups enabled endpoints (e.g. MS Teams, Planner, Forms) and storing files in the associated SharePoint site." is simply a poor excuse for delivering products that don't engender design thinking and well thought out user journeys.

It seems that we forget that not all users are sat in front of a laptop or PC, can multitask and have multiple windows open, can easily copy and paste between 'siloed' information containers in order to construct and navigate information - 75% of the global workforce is NOT desk bound (obviously slightly skewed as many of these won't need access to information systems).

Rant over and not directed at you personally Pooya ...

@Garry Rawlins no worries, understand the frustration. The option to see an overview of the files in the Yammer app should have been there from the start imho. 

@Kevin Crossman, not sure what @Lloyd Adams's usecase is, but I can think of one and have shared it above. What if you have an existing SharePoint site and want to connect that to a Yammer group? You could do this with Teams (connect to existing O365 group and then extend the O365 group with Microsoft Teams), but we don't have the option to extend an existing O365 group with Yammer. The integration options w.r.t. O365 groups are only consistent if you're dealing with a green field situation.