Home

Will Yammer connected Office 365 Groups ever integrate with Microsoft teams?

Highlighted
Contributor

Right now, it seems that Microsoft teams only integrates with Office 365 Groups that use Outlook conversations. 

8 Replies
Highlighted
There will be a connector for Yammer. At this time Team's will not have Yammer as an individual channel or tab in Teams, but please engage with the Team's Tech Community for future roadmap.
Highlighted

So essentially, this would result in 2 Office 365 groups?  1 for the Yammer conversations and 1 for the Microsoft teams conversations?

Highlighted
There is a third party tool to allow you to add a Yammer group to a tab in Teams - this might suffice in the interim ?
Highlighted

This has been a conundrum for us. I originally about passed out when Microsoft said that the idea was for organizational users to pick the application they liked or were used to using and O365 groups would be the interconnection betwen them all. I envisoned Skype being ued for chat and Yammer, Teams or Outlook being ued for conversations and OneDrive being the backbone for file storage, doc collaboration etc but alas that is not the case. The conversations don't cross post so people used to using Outlook can't see Teams conversationa and so on and so forth. The Yammer plugins are clunky in Outlook groups and not all of our departments need to use a Teams environment. Yammer is probably the closest fit for us so far with it's minimalist interface but the "browser based" experience only is not ideal for adoption for our users. Crossing our fingers for the Yammer desktop application coming out. We thought Skype was the answer but not being able to add pictures to chats in the mobile app was a killer for us.

Highlighted

I actually like the idea that Office 365 Groups go across all the different Office 365 applications and collaboration experiences, BUT sadly that experience is broken with Yammer and Microsoft Teams.  The whole benefit of Yammer connected Office Groups is a single group membership, SharePoint based file storage, and eventually team calendar.  However, what I'm seeing now is if a team wants to use Microsoft Teams and Yammer, they will have to manage TWO sets of membership, TWO SharePoint based file storage locations, and TWO team calendars!  In my opinion, this so counterintuitive to the wonderful concept of Office 365 Groups and I know will confused many over the next few months.  I think Microsoft needs to provide clear guidance to end users that Yammer is best for large groups of forum style discussion and Teams is best for smaller, more focused teams.  Ultimately in my opinion, long term Yammer will be a niche product for very specific use cases and Microsoft Teams will be the go to collaboration tool for most collaboration needs. 

Highlighted

I feel the same way with teams. The conversations look like they were built on Yammer or Skype, the chat looks like it is Skype based, it also has the Yammer social component. Looking at the mobile client verse all the other applications mobile clients they definately put more dev in Teams. I wish though in Teams you could have channel memberships. We have some teams that part of the team doesn't want or need or even shouldn't have rights to a particular channel inside that team. That last part was off topic.