Home

SharePoint License

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

What if users who access Yammer connected O365 don't have their SharePoint license enabled?  Will they be able to access all files?  Will we be out of compliance since their SPO licnese is not enabled.

6 Replies
Highlighted
Hi Erin. I expect that a SharePoint license is required. I know it's required for an Outlook group and for a Microsoft Team. Going forward, Yammer Files will become more integrated into the SharePoint document library. I don't there is provision for an Office 365 user in the same organization, without a SharePoint license, to take advantage of the SharePoint guest user access.
Highlighted

As Darrell mentioned - the key is to have 'a' SharePoint license - as long as there is one in the tenant, the functionality will be provisioned.

From a licensing perspective though the goal of course would be to have all users in compliance since they are using the functionality. I'd refer you to the TrueUp process and your Microsoft Acoount Team.

Highlighted
What about Guests? Yammer and Groups have this option - I'm not sure if this requires a license in Yammer though?
Highlighted
if the users accessing yammer group don't SharePoint license, they won't be able to access the files stored in SharePoint document library.
Highlighted

Great, thanks.  Wonder why that doesn't work in general outside of Yammer (where if you give somone a link to a SPO site, they can access even if there SPO license isn't enabled).

Highlighted

Sorry, I should clarify myself. Yammer doesn't do anything special about SharePoint license, so we will rely on whatever the existing behavior SharePoint provides.