Q5: Working Out Loud Big Wins

Highlighted
Former Employee

Q5: For those who have practiced Working out Loud, what has been a favorite moment or big win?

What are you doing to encourage Working out Loud?

18 Replies
Highlighted

We did traditition IT deployments, test everything, ..build documentation and training..roll out..This put us 10 years behind on things we want to release soon, Windows 10, Mac OS Sierra, Groups etc...

Changed our apporach a bit, and went agile with interested folks who were asking for things on yammer.. Result - users telling us what does not work, and how they got it working..IT does not need to discover and fix everything, especially in technology companies..save your resources and $'s

Highlighted

My favorite big win of all time, was my "show this to every executive forever" thread.

Colleague 1: We're about to push [technical patch X] live in our plant today. Very exciting!

Colleague 2: STOP! NO DON'T DO IT, IT TOOK OUR PLANT OFFLINE FOR THREE DAYS. Call me right now!

No, they didn't know each other... until then, anyway.

Highlighted

Personally, working out loud has been a big win for me professionally. Working out loud, asking lots of questions and helping people in the wider community led me to my current role at EY and also led me to becoming a Yammer MVP. Sharing knowledge, appreciating people for sharing their knowledge and building a community of champions around this idea - will lead you to a better career and life. And you don't have to believe me, go read John Stepper's book and blog posts http://workingoutloud.com/.

Highlighted

Cost avoidance are our biggest wins. Working out loud enables us to 'fail early' and 'fail cheaply'.

We have other incredible stories, of connection & serendipity of knowledge and experiences, but bottom line saving money wins!

Our policy was to encourage new folks in our organization to journal out loud when they first come to the company so they get used to describing their expereinces for everyone to read with 'simple, basic sharing'. But afterwards its part of corporate culture - to have no meetings withut Yammer, and everything should be on Yammer to discuss further. Having a log of decsions as well as how we reached those decisions is important as a reference base.

Start by encouraging lurking - Let people get a sense of what is being shared, how people are reacting.  That will help people feel more comfortable with the concept!

Highlighted

If I could save any time by not duplicating efforts that a win. I always am sharing what I am up to and where I need help or guidience or feedback. Its been a win for planning events, creating training programs and writing proposals.

Highlighted

GO YOU!

Highlighted

When we need feedback the best way is to spread the word and we and idea becomes to a project it a big moment ! If we publicitize on Yammer it's a good way to give vision !

Highlighted
Brought to life "Save The Children" fundraising campaign at GSK pharma.
Highlighted

I've been thinking more about how to encourage this behavior at Cargill, even as I constantly wrestle to change my own behavior.

In addition to the "Tiny Habits" method mentioned in other threads (and easily searched), I think another key piece of working out oud is recognizing a good group in which to post updates. I've been trying to push this behavior in related campaigns such as my "Helpful" drive... Network announcements that you can win a GoPro camera in a drawing, if within the following week you publish something helpful that you know, hashtagged #helpful, in a group where someone might reasonably expect to find that information. I think that can help everyone recognize that we have information to share, and that you'll get more value if you take a moment to put it in the right place.

Highlighted

When a colleague, entirely unencouraged by me (as in, I found out that he was doing this at the same time as everyone else), decided to give Yammer a try with one of those big projects that takes a few months to build and then runs for an entire month after that, after which it is ever to be archived for the benefit of all.

It was a big deal for me as a community manager, but it was a bigger deal in our email & in-person meetings-only environment. We of course still had our kickoff meeting and any others we really needed, but this was such a success, and was so unprecedented, that it's been two years and I can still point to this group with all the data and conversations and files as, "Look at what you can do on Yammer."

Highlighted

I always love to say #LurkersArePeopleToo - I've had a lot of success with people reaching out after I use that hashtag in posts and thanking me for appreciating that part of our community. Just because they don't like or respond in the technology platform doesn't mean they're not changed. They may take that knowledge and use it in real life!

Highlighted

Thanks friend!

Highlighted

I wouldn't be doing what I do without working out loud. It has saved so much time. I have learned so much that I would never have realised. It has connected me with global communities that are relevant to my work, helps me find clients and even shapes my reputation to help me be effective in my work. I know what I do resonates and is effective for my clients because we work out loud together before, during and after.  In addition to satisfaction there's a great sense of purpose in that. 

Highlighted

@Anna Chu wrote:

Start by encouraging lurking - Let people get a sense of what is being shared, how people are reacting.  That will help people feel more comfortable with the concept!

Definitely!! I've spoken to people who dislike the fact that lurkers make up most of their networks. I'd venture to say that unless you really have 100% lurkerdom, lurkers are not something to be feared. They're watching. They're learning. They're gathering their own courage.

Sometimes you have to be proactive about finding reasons for them to more actively participate. But the trick to Yammer is, forcing it on people rarely works. Letting it unfold for them has a greater chance. I have everyone in my company "on" Yammer, but not everyone posts; yet every day I see something unexpected, which includes a long-time lurker posting. It's worth the wait.

Highlighted

International Working Out Loud Week is itself an outcome of working out loud.  Jonathan Anthony, Austen Hunter and I proposed the idea in a conversation in the predecessor of this community. We had never met but working out loud we made the first event occur as an experiment.  Jonathan and I have met once personally since then but every working out loud week is planned, coordinated and delivered using working out loud. We now engage thousands of people around the world in the practice of working out loud this way.

Highlighted

lurkers are fellow employees who are interested stakeholders who take what they learn and use it in their work. The term doesn't really belong in Yammer. It makes sense in online communities on the internet but everyone in your organisation is invested in your work (whether they realise or not).

Highlighted
Lots of interviews from Working Out Loud practitioners on the http://wolweek.com site where they describe wins and their experiences. Look for Working Out Loud in Action.