Home

Groups, SharePoint, Yammer

Regular Contributor

I've seen a LOT of when to use what from different sources (most of them good) but unfortunately not tangible enough for our needs. I'm wondering if there any resources out there that can help provide more prescriptive guidance on conversations (its not that we are trying to put people in a box) but coming from an organization that is very conservative people have actually asked me for a playbook of different conversation scenarios and the tools that would best fit their needs.

Examples of what I'm looking for...

-Email: Confidential, two people or less

-Yammer: Global, visible,

-Teams: Fast paced, less than five people

-Groups: ??

10 Replies
Highlighted

Have you seen the work done by @Naomi Moneypenny on this topic? she has published a lot of good examples.

Highlighted

Our marketing team is working on building out resources to help enable Yammer adoption and explain how/why to tuse Yammer. Here is some guidance that can help steer you below, but would be great to get feedback on what resources/formats would best help you.

Email: mail and calendar (mail may be a grou's preferred way of conversing)

Yammer: open and great for connecting across the org

Teams: real-time hub for teams who converse with each other most of the time

Group is the service that is horizontally connected across Email, Yammer and Teams

Highlighted

Steve also wrote a great article "Among Email and Microsoft Teams, Yammer Still Has Its Place" you can share  https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/among-email-microsoft-teams-yammer-still-has-its-place-steve-nguyen

Highlighted
My recommendation would be to identify and highlight *actual* uses of each within your own organization so it's concrete and relatable and connect those teams / individuals using Teams / Groups / Yammer with others who are seeking to make sense of their options. They are much closer to value creation. I believe our problem of which tool when stems from a lack of visible leadership, and an awareness of what each tool uniquely enables. Someone will eventually need to step up and take initiative to convene and come to a consensus on how they will work together.

Curious to know if any of us had guidance given to us on which network (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, TechCommunity, etc) to share on and when. Attention will be invested where the audience is participating. Choose your love and love your choice.
Highlighted

Good to hear something like this is on your team's radar. I think what would be most helpful is to provide specific-real life scenarios that can related to 'less promoted' industries (i.e. chemicals). I think that would be ground-breaking for us.

Highlighted

Thanks, yes! I'm familiar with this one and it was well received.

Highlighted

Thanks Dean - appreciate the call out!  Will have a new blog this week with reasons on why Yammer is more important than ever (which will be posted in this community).

Lililian - how about I mock up a sample (prescriptive is my thing ;)) and we work it out loud in this community? I think its more important to teach how to listen, iterate and adapt with what works for your org - definitely no one size fits all, but for the groups/users that ask for guidance it can be a starting point. The process is more important probably than the actual end result since there will always be exceptions.

Highlighted
Oooo! Mention me when you post! Can't wait to read it.
Highlighted

@Dean Gross thank you! @Noah Sparks your right, many of us probably did not have much guidance for using the various social tools we know and love. Unfortunately, as surprising as this may sound there are still people that don't use social tools (yes, this are probably the same people that are set in their 'email solves everything' ways) and find themselves challenged by having to many choices (one would thing that is a good thing, right? ;-).

@Naomi Moneypenny it would be an honor to work out loud with you! Count me in, let's get the ball rolling! And yes, I see what I'm looking is a guide that will be just a starting point. As you mentioned, no size fits all and conditions change so there will be some exeptions.

Highlighted

I just wanted to update anyone reading this thread. A few of my team members have started on the guide I'll be happy to share our version in the next few weeks.

Related Conversations
Office365 groups spam emails
rav-i-den in Office 365 on
3 Replies
Share button doesn't work to Yammer beta
Gabriela_Souza in Yammer Developer on
0 Replies
Working with excel in Sharepoint desktop app
IanH1 in SharePoint on
2 Replies
Ability to disable comments in Yammer
JoleneHanrahan in Yammer on