Word removes spaces

Copper Contributor

The Word program removes the spaces between blocked paragraphs near the top of the page. I re-add the spaces but as I edit my work, the compressed paragraphs return. What's the explanation and how do I fix it?

9 Replies

@William1765 Can you upload a copy of the document so that we can investigate the issue.

I don't see a way of uploading.
The easiest way to replicate the issue is typing a few paragraphs on an open document. If I move the paragraphs down by hitting enter, when the text reaches the second page, the space between the first two complete paragraphs on the new page disappears. What seems to cause the problem is any increase in the amount of lines within the document and then on the page following, it creates a loss of the space between the first two paragraphs. It's ongoing—in different files it does the same thing.
Not a huge issue, easy to fix, but I write fiction and the repetition is annoying when I'm editing.

@William1765 

To upload a sample: Save a sample on OneDrive or Dropbox and include a share link in a post here. Why a sample file is important for troubleshooting - - - - - - - and how to do it. 

My guess

Chances are good that you are talking about Space-Before paragraph formatting. That is not used by Word at the top of a page in general, only in the first-page of a section. You can use Frames to make it work on any page.

Space Before Heading at beginning of page - Using Frames

@Charles_Kenyon 

The problem is when I add lines within a multi-page document, on the page or pages following, the program deletes the space between the first paragraph, in other words, the first two paragraphs become one paragraph...Am I speaking Swahili? 

@William1765 When you click on Reply, you will see

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1710369068476.png

The problem:

They drove through the night and were pulling into Indianapolis the next morning. It was sixty miles to Kokomo from there, and Branigan dropped Iacono off at the bus station. He was positive it'd be the last time they'd ever meet, and he said, "Good luck, Big Ears," before he drove off. He had a feeling it wouldn't take the Cosa Nostra long to find him in Kokomo. When Iacono got off the bus in his hometown, he wasn't sure what to do next. He was down to the last of the money Adriano had sent, and he'd need somewhere to spend the night. Going to his parents' house would be a last resort. His father had found out through the grapevine that he'd joined the mob and it had led to a heated confrontation. He'd hardly talked to him in the years since.

Corrected:

They drove through the night and were pulling into Indianapolis the next morning. It was sixty miles to Kokomo from there, and Branigan dropped Iacono off at the bus station. He was positive it'd be the last time they'd ever meet, and he said, "Good luck, Big Ears," before he drove off. He had a feeling it wouldn't take the Cosa Nostra long to find him in Kokomo.

When Iacono got off the bus in his hometown, he wasn't sure what to do next. He was down to the last of the money Adriano had sent, and he'd need somewhere to spend the night. Going to his parents' house would be a last resort. His father had found out through the grapevine that he'd joined the mob and it had led to a heated confrontation. He'd hardly talked to him in the years since.

At the top of every page following the addition of lines in a page before it. It compresses the first two paragraphs into one. Capiche?

If Word is removing spaces unexpectedly, there could be a few reasons for this behavior. Sometimes, when copying text from different sources or software, non-breaking space characters (Unicode character U+00A0) can be included instead of regular space characters. Non-breaking space characters look like regular spaces but have different behavior in Word.

Frustrating formatting glitch. It might be a hidden paragraph mark causing the squished paragraphs. Do a "Find and Replace" with "^p^p" two paragraph marks and replace with just one "^p" This should fix it

@William1765 

What you are describing is most unusual. I have never seen it happen myself in 20 years of using Word. 

When the spacing disappears, which command(s) do you see on the Undo drop down in Word? This may provide important clues. 

Maybe one or more paragraph marks have been formatted as hidden. Displaying nonprinting marks by clicking the ¶ icon on the Home tab may shed some light. Are there any signs that one or more paragraph marks (¶) have been formatted as hidden?