Word Online (Web version) auto deletes text

Copper Contributor

When typing on Word online (web version) using a mobile device (Galaxy S22 Ultra, Tab S8 Ultra, iPad Pro (M1), etc) Word will randomly start deleting all of the text typed. For example, you start typing a sentance, and you hit enter, it deletes all of it. If you hit backspace it deletes all of it. Sometimes it deletes portions of it.

I have noticed that it seems to happen during the "Auto Save". I'll be typing and i see the autosave message come up and that is when it deletes the text. 

I have tried this on Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, and Samsung Internet browser. I have tried it on Safari for the iPad Pro, and it has the same effect on all of them. If you are wondering why I want to use the web version of office instead of the application available for Android and iOS, its because selecting text in the app is horrible.

You cant highlight text by putting your mouse cursor up to it and then selecting it, then dragging the cursor to select the text you need. It's incredibly frustrating to sit there and try and highlight some text 100 times without it being effective. 

I use Samsung Dex which is a great tool for getting more out of the phone. I would happily use the native applications for Office if they allowed text to be selected properly. 

As mentioned i have tried several browsers, across iOS and Android. I have restarted the phone (and tablet) and factory reset the phone (twice) and the tablet (once), and the iPad (twice) thinking it is something with the devices, but clearly that isnt the case. (Even skipped restoring the phone from a backup altogether once just to make sure i didnt contaminate it with previous data)

If anyone has any idea on how to address this, please let me know. If anything get Microsoft to fix the web version of Office for mobile devices.

9 Replies
I have the same problem sice a month or so. This wasn´t an issue at all.

Have you found a way to fix it? Word online has been very unreliable on mobile and the Android app won´t let you select text with a mouse. What a joke.

@GabrielGon Unfortunately I have not found a way to fix it, other than reverting to using my PC to work on Word documents... I sure wish Microsoft would do something about it.

@oliveiram10 I have this problem too. Have you been able to fix yours?

hello, @LeeBr1310 

I have not found a fix. Reported it to Microsoft as well and has-been heard a peep. Just use my PC now...

Same problem here, no solution found yet.
I am experiencing this issue as well. I am using an MSI laptop, firefox browser, on Pop_OS! 22.04 linux distro, I have reinstalled the entire OS and the issue persists.

"Found a solution": I swapped Office for Google Drive. It works great on the tablet and windows. Plus, Google's cloud service is soooooo much better (at least on android). Onedrive keeps failing transfers for me and the mobile app is a complete joke.

I waited 6 months for a fix. 6 months.......... 

I have the same issue on Ubuntu Linux 22.04 with the Word browser in Firefox, when pressing enter to go to a new line the text got deleted.. To fix this I downloaded Brave browser to work in MS Office Word, this worked for now.