Word Layout Orientation Default

Copper Contributor

Currently whenever I do a new Word Document the Document layout opens up into a "Portrait" Orientation.

However all of he Word Documents that I do are in "Landscape" Orientation.

How may I sent the permanent orientation layout to "Landscape" rather than "Portrait?"

Thank you,

Purrington

7 Replies

@Purrington You should create a NEW template with landscape orientation and then create new documents from that template.
To do that start with a blank document, change the orientation to Landscape and then use File>Save As and select Word Template (*.dotx) from the file type drop down. When you do that, by default, the template will be saved in the User Templates folder.

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1652213216040.png

To facilitate using the template, add the New Document or Template command (from the All Commands) group to the Quick Access Toolbar.  When you use that button, it will take you directly to the "classic" New dialog that contains the templates that are saved in the User Templates Folder.

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP 

I started with a blank document.

I changed the orientation to “Landscape.”

I went to: Save As and select Word Template (*.dotx) [See Image.]

Could you kindly clarify to specific steps I must take to:

“facilitate using the template, add the New Document or Template command (from the All Commands) group to the Quick Access Toolbar.”

Thank you

Purrington_0-1652261008954.png

@Purrington In Word, go to File>Options>Quick Access Toolbar and from the Choose command from dropdown, select "All Commands" and then scroll down through the list of commands to the "New Document or Template" item and select it and then click on Add, to add it to the list on the right hand side. 

If it is not checked, check the box for Show Quick Access Toolbar

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1652261615785.png

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP 

Your clarification advanced me a good deal forward.

But after I select “All Commands” and scroll down the list of commands I do not see the option of “New Document or Template.” [See Image]Access.jpg

You are looking at the Options in Outlook, NOT in Word.
You are correct. Entirely my mistake.
Admin may consider this issue resolved. Thank you