Word is inserting a doulbe line instead of a single line

Copper Contributor

I'm working on a document and I've been typing 3 underscores to create a horizontal line on the page.  However, the last time I used it, it's now inserting a double line.  I can't figure out how to fix this.  Any ideas?

4 Replies

@AdrianeS42 

To get a more narrow line (actually a paragraph border), you can type three hyphens instead, followed by Enter.

However, when you depend on the "Border lines" option in the AutoFormat As You Type settings, Word offers limited control. 

For full control, you will have to define the border you want, by using the Borders and Shading dialog box. 

If you want to, you can turn off the AutoFormat As You Type option for borders via File > Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options > AutoFormat As You Type. 

Stefan_Blom_0-1676681918430.png

Thanks for your reply but I'm not looking for a more narrow line. I need the line that's created by typing 3 underscores (a thick, single line). However, Word is suddently inserting a double line instead of a single line and I don't know how to fix this.

@AdrianeS42 

You could always use Insert > Shape > Line which will give you total control over a line or use the Borders and Shading dialog to control/modify the line inserted by AutoCorrect as a border.

I am getting a single, thick, line with underscores. I do not believe this has been changed.

Charles_Kenyon_0-1676740668581.png

If you want someone here to look at it, save a sample document with the problem double-line border on OneDrive or Dropbox and post a link here.

Why a sample file is important for troubleshooting - - - - - - - and how to do it.

@AdrianeS42 

As I wrote, you can use the Borders and Shading dialog box. 

A shape (line) would also be a possibility, as Charles suggested.

Stefan_Blom_0-1676824237942.png