Word Fields showing in PDF instead of contents

Brass Contributor

Hi 

I'm assuming this is a Word issue.  I have been asked to help someone who opens a Word doc, fills in contents in fields then saves it as a PDF.  This works for all his colleagues and me, but when he does it, it shows the field markers instead of the contents he has entered.  It is the same when he prints to PDF.  I'm sure it's a setting but not an obvious one to me.

Thanks

9 Replies

@kathryndillon_4693 

In Word, turn off the setting to print field codes. In Word for Windows, click File > Options > Advanced and clear the check mark next to "Print field codes instead of their values." See screen shot.

Hi @Stefan_Blom 

Tried that one!  He said it didn't help.

Thanks, though.

Kathryn

@kathryndillon_4693 

Does this happen only on your colleague's computer? Other people don't have a problem with printing/saving to PDF, even if they open the exact same document? 

Depending on the type of fields, it may be necessary to turn off the printing of hidden text as well. 

Hi @Stefan_Blom 

Yes, it's fine for everyone else (including me) using the same document.  I hope to remote in again today and will look at the hidden text, though.

Thanks

Kathryn

Sorry @Stefan_Blom 

That was a wild goose chase.  He hadn't unticked about displaying Field codes instead of values.  I'd asked him last week and he said he had, but only when I got the chance to connect remotely could I see that he hadn't!

thanks for your help

@kathryndillon_4693 

Indeed, both the display and the print option need to be turned off, for the document to look and print properly.

Thanks for the follow-up.

@Stefan_Blom 

One of my clients is still facing the same issue even though I have unchecked the print option. 

Could also show me a screenshot where exactly display options need to be turned off? I was able to figure out the print option but not the display option.

Can there be an issue with the language as my client is french and her word interface is in French? 

@shrimehta8 

Here are the settings:

kathryndillon_4693_0-1621410095997.pngkathryndillon_4693_1-1621410110737.png

Sorry I don't know if using French would affect it

Kathryn

@shrimehta8 

Turn off the option to print field codes.

printFieldCodesScreenClipping.png