Word Equation Fonts not Updating

Copper Contributor

I am using a current version of Word (16.72) on a mac but cannot modify the font within equations of the document. Currently the font defaults to Cambria Math; I would like it be in Times New Roman (TNR).

Things I have already tried:

1. Selecting part/all of an individual equation, going to the Home tab and changing the font to TNR - did not change the font.

2. Selecting part/all of an individual equation, going to the Design tab, selecting Fonts, changing the font to TNR - did not change the font.

3. Selecting part/all of an individual equation, right clicking, selecting "Font...", changing the font to TNR - did not change the font.

4. Selecting part/all of an individual equation, going to the Design tab, selecting Style Pane, creating a new style which only uses the TNR font, selecting the newly created style - did not change the font (current style is listed as NewStyle + (Latin) Cambria Math, Italic).

Ideally, I'd like to set the default font for equations to TNR, however if anyone can think of a way to manually change the font and get rid of Cambria Math, that would be helpful since I currently cannot even do that. Thank you!

2 Replies

@daniel_e1515 Many of the symbols used in Equations require the use of the Cambria Math font so you should not change it.

It still should be possible to change it if desired. I'm trying to use a 1x2 matrix to show a time signature in line with text, and the required characters (U+E080 to U+E089) are not available in Cambria Math. The best I can do is just using the normal digits 0 to 9 in Cambria Math Bold, and they never look right. Being able to change the font from Cambria Math to Bravura or any other SMuFL font would fix the problem, which isn't currently possible.