word - color replacement of all first characters

Copper Contributor

I have successfully replaced the first character in a doc(hebrew) to a diff color. Used a macro to accomplish this. The doc has hebrew vowels under or part of each letter.

I used a new macro to delete every letter that is black. This kept all letters that were initially changed to another color.

The issue is upon deletion of the black characters, I'm left with the colored characters, but with the hebrew vowels removed. How do I prevent it from happening.

30 Replies

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP 

Thank you very much. worked great.

A few more questions on your steps

In the Replace with control, insert ^p

What is ^p.

In the Find what control, insert ^13{1,}

What is ^13{1,}

In the Find what control, insert ^w

What is ^w

^p will find, or insert a paragraph break
When performing a Wildcard search, you must use ^13 instead of ^p to find a paragraph break. The {1,} tells Word to find one or more instances of the symbol before it. Hence ^13{1,} is used to find one or more consecutive paragraph breaks.
^w is used to find a space.that is white space between characters
To learn more, click on Special and see what is inserted for each of the items in the list. Their is a separate list for a Wildcard search.

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP 

Again, thanks fors all the help. Works great.

Next question.

With all the letters run-on, I can do searches on any given pattern. Yet I cannot locate where in the original text it came from.

So, Is there a way to have some sort of overlay that I can put notes that will not affect searches from these run-on letters.

To complicate things more, If there is a way to do this , can I then search in this overlay.

@ggre1335 

OK. Looks like I missed the subject of hiding text. That's ok when you print. It won't show up. But, in the edited doc where it does show up, I want searching turned off  for the hidden text.

OK. Looks like I missed the subject of hiding text. That's ok when you print. It won't show up. But, in the edited doc where it does show up, I want searching turned off for the hidden text.

@ggre1335 

There was no hidden text in the document that you provided. However, in the Find and Replace dialog, if you click on More and then on Format>Font and clear the box for Hidden

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1656630322817.png

hidden text will be ignored by the Find and Replace routine

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_1-1656630365540.png

There is no "sort of overlay" facility.

You could try copying the "pattern" from the "Letters run-on" and pasting it into the Find what control when you do a search in the original document.
help me with my question\
I need practice files

@vinchama20gmailcom 

Start a new, separate question instead of replying to older threads. That way, your question will be given the attention it deserves.

@vinchama20gmailcom Please do not spam the community by using the Reply facility to ask the same question multiple times. I have provided the information you require in response to one of the instances. You should have used the "Start a New Discussion" facility to ask your question