Word bugs of either deleting links in hidden text, or, can't work with big documents

Copper Contributor

i hope this is the right place for this kind of questions.

i have Word 2016 home. 2 weeks ago i've opened it, got a message saying something like 'Word has encountered problem, fix it now?' and pressed 'yes'.

then i opened one of my documents, and Word replaced a lot of this document links in hidden text, with a text saying 'Error! hyperlink reference not valid'. this text is marked as a link, but doesn't works. and it deleted the text of the original link, which is the only way i can know where this link linked to.

It seems to happen only in links inside hidden text, and till now i saw it only in links linking internally, in the same document the link is.

The bug still exist after i reinstalled Office, after a clean installation of Office and after In-Place upgrading of Windows10.

fixing the links doesn't help, since Word keep changing and deleting them.

reinstalling Office online, either Hebrew or English version, didn't solved the problem.

uninstalling Office and reinstalling original version from image file solved the problem (and solved another problem i had faced - Word doesn't scroll into view in various scenarios, like scrolling search find into view, or moving to a bookmark). but,.. it created another problem - Word can't handle big documents, at least not in Hebrew. every little action stops Word from responding for long period, disabling working with them. installing Hebrew support, solved that, but return the first 2 problems. Same with just installing updates.

does anybody has any idea about this? either keeping the original version without updating, but finding a way to work with big documents, or updating it, and finding a way that it won't delete hidden links, since my documents r full of them.

i've tried canceling proofing, but that didn't change.

thanks.

0 Replies