Word 365 on the MAC not spell checking comments

Copper Contributor

This seems to be a very file specific problem that I have for one student who uses Word on a PC. Every doc he sends me does not allow spell checking in the margin comments. I don't think this is a PC problem per se, as I work with many other student files, all of which allow for comment spell checking. I am using the old-style comments in my copies of Word 365 and am looking for MAC specific instructions. I've followed several links on how to fix this issue on the PC side and I cannot replicate the functionality or the steps that those sites provide.

Lastly, for any PC-centric folks out there, are there certain settings that I can tell my student to watch out for on their end to avoid this problem? Thanks for any suggestions. Please see my replies below as I have more info, but still not solution.

5 Replies
As a quick follow up to this issue, I've also just realized that these problem documents will not allow spell checking in the doc either. I've checked spelling and grammar options in Word prefs and also in the Language settings and the "Do not check spelling or grammar" boxes are NOT ticked. I'm running the same custom dictionary across all files, so that does not seem to be the problem either.
One more follow up. The owner of the file found the problem on their PC end: File --> Options --> Proofing --> uncheck two boxes at the bottom for hiding spell check and grammar suggestions. They are running Office 365, version 2202, Build 14931.20132.

I can find no way to see similar settings and as far as I can figure out, this should all be taken care of in the Word preferences on the Mac side.

@mwarner77 

Modify the Comment Text style and see if it has been set to "Do not check spelling or grammar." Clear that option if it has been selected for the style.

@Stefan_Blom  To turn autocorrect on for Word 365, you mentioned modifying the Comment Text style.  How would I access the Comment Text style

Thank you,

@Tim Giles

Hello @Tim_Giles 

In older version of Word, changing Comment text style was possible. Not so in the latest O365. I raised a ticket to MS to have that changed (visual accessibility), but they replied that for "security issues" this is not possible. What a load of crap :(.

Anyway.

- Hit Ctrl + Shift + Alt + S. This will open Style task pane.

- Place your cursor in the comment box. This should automatically highlight the appropriate style in the Style pane.

(If not, go to Manage Styles (the icon with a capital A with a green tick), go to the 'Recommend' tab and if your cursors is still in the comment box, the style should be highlighted. Click on 'Show'.)

- In the Style pane, when you hover over the highlighted style, it will give you a down-pointing arrow meaning there is a drop-down menu. Click on that one and click on 'Modify'. There you make the sought after changes.

However, again a little reminder, the current version of Office 365 will let you make changes in the Comment text style, but the changes won't show. :(

Oh, and BTW, unless you post the change, the Comment Text style won't show. :(

Huh, just tried it. I am on Current Channel, and MS even greyed out the options!!!, just to show you CANNOT make changes to Comment Text. Well, there goes visual accessibility :(.