Word 365 Comment - won't take Dragon dictation

Copper Contributor

I am unable to dictate insert material into Comment on Word 365 using Dragon Naturally Speaking Professional 15 even though I had no problem doing so on any of the prior versions of Word.  Dictation transcribes normally within main text.  Only problem is with dictation into Comment.

11 Replies

@Dan_Murray I'm having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution? I review a lot of content and this seems like a big miss.

@Dan_Murray Same issue here :unamused:

@CWheats  same issue with comment boxes...any solutions ?

@Dan_Murray 

The new comments interface has many limitations compared to the older one. 

What you can do is post feedback for Microsoft; see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-do-i-give-feedback-on-microsoft-office-2b102d44-b43f-....

I have always been able to use Dragon Naturally Speaking to dictate into Word 365 comments.  Now comments does not take comments.  This is a HUGE drawback.  The only work around I've found is to dictate into a separate document (Word main documents still takes dictation) and then paste that into the comment.  This is not a long-term solution.@Dan_Murray 

@rslmentions1040 

Make sure that you report this issue to Microsoft, using the Feedback facility.

The following is not perfect but very quick and easy. When your cursor is in the comment bubble, just click Dictate on on the Home tab, dictate your comment, and then click dictate off to return to Dragon.

I have had the same problem,@Dan_Murray My workaround is to use dictation boxes. When the cursor is in the comment box, say, "open dictation box". Dictation boxes will operate with most Dragon functionality. When you have finished editing what you want to say, you can say, "click transfer".

When I am using Dragon in word to edit documents I will make a comment through the dictation box function, post a comment but then I cannot get the cursor back into the main document using my voice. I have to manually do it. Does anyone have a solution?@Dan_Murray 

@Dan_Murray 

Turning off Modern Comments should help, if you can!

Modern Comments control! Screenshots for Windows and Mac

Use the feedback mechanism!

I turned off modern comments but it didn't  enable me to use Dragon with themb@Charles_Kenyon