What processor and RAM is good enough for very large Word Documents?

Copper Contributor

I'm a writer looking for a new laptop. I heard i5 processor is probably needed? But also not sure about what RAM should be good? What would work for large documents containing hundreds of pages?

Thanks so much!

5 Replies

That would certainly be enough memory. More importantly is the operating system that should be 64-bit and on it you should install the 64-bit version of Office.

This is the specification of the machine that I use and have used to create documents with hundreds of pages

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1659495861184.png

I really appreciate your reply! Thanks a bunch! Would an 11th gen i3 processor with 8GB RAM work okay?

@shaka3736 NO!, I would NOT get a computer that is running Windows 11 S Mode

Windows 11 in S mode isa version of Windows 11 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing.

If I'm not mistaken, I heard you can disable S Mode. At least according to customer support. Apparently a lot of people disable it. 

If so, it's an 11th gen i3 with 8 GB RAM, is that good?

I literally just purchased it an hour ago so I would really appreciate a reply as soon as convenient for you so I can cancel my order if need be. But I heard S Mode can be disabled so hopefully it'll be okay!