SOLVED

Updating Multiple Formulas in Word Tables

Copper Contributor

Hello All,

A large table in a Word document contains multiple formulas, each in its own cell, and all formulas in the same column.  

Is there a way to update *all* of the formulas in the column simultaneously, as opposed to having to do each one separately?

Thanks in advance.

BG 

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Bruce_Gettel (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Bruce_Gettel To update all of the fields in the document, press CTRL+a and then press F9.  To just update the fields in the column in the table, select the column and then press F9.

THANK YOU MAN!

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP When I use this command sequence, I get an error message that the fields are nested too deeply. It appears after the dialog boxes asking if I want to update just the page numbers or the whole field for the TOC, TOF, and TOT. I've never seen this error before on this or any other Word document. Can you tell me what it means?

@Torchy_777 Can you share a copy of the document (on OneDrive, DropBox, etc.) so that we can investigate the issue

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP no, I'm sorry, I can't share it. It's company proprietary. The exact wording of the error message was "Fields are nested too deeply" if that helps. When I did the Ctrl+A then F9, I got the usual dialog boxes asking if I wanted to update the entire table or just the page numbers for the three tables (Table of Contents, List of Figures, and List of Tables). It doesn't matter which option I select; I get the same error message as soon as the third dialog box closes.

@Torchy_777 We can't help without seeing the field construction.  Can you strip out any confidential matter so that you can share the rest of the document.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bruce_Gettel (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Bruce_Gettel To update all of the fields in the document, press CTRL+a and then press F9.  To just update the fields in the column in the table, select the column and then press F9.

View solution in original post