Trouble updating links in Microsoft Word

Copper Contributor

I am trying to update links in my word file to pull from a file in one folder to instead pull from an (absolutely) identical file in another folder.

I clicked Alt + F9 to reveal the field codes.

I used "find and replace" to enter in the new path - but now the links are completely dead.

I can copy in a new link directly which works and see the field code is*exactly* the same as the find and replace one, but the find and replace never comes back to life. 

Can anyone help?

4 Replies

@SDough1987 

Sorry - I managed to do it. The key to reactivate the deadlinks was to highlight them (or the whole document for ease) and click F9. 

@SDough1987 I want to update all the destination links when the source (excel) changes. It is not dynamic. I had to 'select all' and f9. or when i opened the destination word doc, it offered to update linksupdateopen.png

@Mikeymike2200 Now word has decided to dynamically update. Dont know what changed (gremlins at work!). 

Now the problem is that the linked destination is not keeping a consistent format - - see excel source and word destination:linkformatfail2.pnglinkformatfail.png

@Mikeymike2200

I suggest posting this as a new question to get the best answers.

You may want to review Word Fields and Relative Paths to External Files by Paul Edstein.