track changes problems

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I use track changes on a Mac and I am having two issues I am hoping you can help with. I am editing a book and the publisher wants all deletions in red and additions in green.

1. I would like my strikethroughs to register in a specific red. Or ideally  for deletions to remain visible in the body of the text as strikethroughs in red. I set that in options under "markup: deletions: strikethrough and color red' but the strikethroughs remain black. Is there a way to have all strikethroughs be red that I am missing? The setting for additions in green works but not the deletions/strikethroughs in red.

2. I need to be able to edit the text in the colors above and then move whole edited sections to different places in the book, as needed. However, whenever I do that it all transfers as new text and this is in green rather than black text with green additions and red strikethrough just in a new location. Ideally I'd like it all to be noticeable as moved text as well. In the track changes options under 'modes' it appears as if I should be able to do this in any number of ways but none of them are working.

Can anyone help? I am simply not finding the workarounds for this. I'd really appreciate it!!!

2 Replies

Hello @sbsbrill ,

without having the actual document, this is just a guess work, but from what you describe I think that all strikethrough text is actually normal text styled as strikethrough, i.e. it is not a revision.

If I am right (and you can confirm that by going into the Font menu under the Home tab), the fix is rather simple:

1. Switch on trackchanges.

2. Go to Find and Replace.

3. In Find, go to Format → Font, choose Strikethrough.

4. In Replace put nothing. Don't touch that field at all.

What this does is that it essentially deletes all font that is strikethrough and because you have trackchanges on, it will show as deletions.

To your second question: if you move a block of text from one place to another within the same document, it is marked as green/addition and green/deletion because it is a moved text, the green colour is your mark of a moved text. You can switch off the moves and they will show as simple deletions and editions.

What this will do 

@sbsbrill 

For text marked for deletion, the color of the strikethrough will be the same as the color of the deleted text itself. At least, this is how it works in Word for Windows.