Table of Contents

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am working on a report, and have a set of headings/sub-headings and sub-sub-headings. (1 ; 1.1 ; 1.1.1 format etc.)

When I have created a TOC ; there is no indent to differentiate between them. I have tried looking online and also tried moving the contents of the entire document to a new document but I am still getting the same issues.

2 Replies

@kr-12 

kr12_0-1693557215059.png

What I would like is to have (eg) 1.1 indented in the TOC. I reviewed a number of videos on youtube etc where I would highlight the first instance of the header (ie INTRODUCTION) ; and it should update all similar headings (PURPOSE OF THIS DOCUMENT ; KEY WORD INTNENTIONS etc.) but it's not.

@kr-12 

The appearance of entries in the table of contents is controlled by the TOC styles. To add an indent to level 1 (Heading 1) items in the TOC, modify the TOC 1 style, and similarly for the other levels. 

In Word for Windows, you can press Ctrl+Shift+S to display the Apply Styles pane. Type in the style name, such as TOC 1, and click the Modify button. In the dialog box, click Format and then click Paragraph. Make the desired changes for the left indent. Repeat this step for other levels (other TOC styles).