Table of Contents Problem

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a problem with my table of contents. It's showing page number with no Header. I've attached a photo. 

Thanks,

MikeTable_of_Contents.png

13 Replies

@bdq172

In Word, the table of contents is hyperlinked by default. If you click or Ctrl + click one of the blank paragraphs, to which location in the document does the insertion point move?

If you want to, you can share a sample document in Word format.

@Stefan_Blom 

I'm not sure how to share the Word document with you. Let me know and I'll send it.

Let me know how to send the document please.

@bdq172 You can send the document to me at dougrobbinsmvp[atsymbol]gmail[dot]com and I will investigate the issue.

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP 

Hi Doug,

Document sent. 

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,
Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP answered my question and solved my problem.
Thanks

@bdq172 

I'm glad you got it sorted. Would you mind telling us what the problem turned out to be? 

Or maybe @Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP could provide us with a brief summary?

@Stefan_Blom 

I had multiple pages with a Header on the page. The fix was to change those to Normal using replace. I was copying pages and I didn't pay attention to the page formatting. 

Some of the pages had a Heading format in the middle of the page. I replaced those with with Normal format and that fixed the TOC issue.

@Stefan_Blom There were a number of empty paragraphs to which the Heading 1 style had been applied.  

To overcome the issue, the Replace facility was used to replace the Heading 1 style with the Normal style in those locations where it was not required.

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP 

Thanks for the follow-up. 

@bdq172 

Just a short jargon alert: Reading your question again, there is a significant difference between headings and headers. The terms are easily confused but using the wrong one will make getting help a lot harder.

What is the difference between headings and headers?