SOLVED

Switched to word '21 - Line thickness not available ?

Copper Contributor

Hello all !

I switched to office 2021 professional plus and I noticed that the easy way to make lines thicker is not available anymore ? Is this a settings that I have to set ?

In older Word you can directly select line thicknes..

Attached picture, it is in Dutch but you will get it.

Thanks !

Line thickness.png

7 Replies
I am not sure what you mean by the "easy way". However, I do not believe that there has been any change in the application in that respect.

@Sels31 

The exact command on the ribbon will depend on if you are dealing with the border of an image or with a shape.

For example, if you have selected a shape, you can access the widths via Shape Format > Shape Outline > Weight. See screen shot below.

shapeWeidght.png

@Stefan_Blom 

Hello Stefan,

That is exact the problem I am having, as you can see in my screenshot : the shape outline is grayed out..

I still can press "shape outline", then I have to select "more lines" then I can select the weight..

Normally it should show the weight like in your example

@Sels31 

Sorry, I misinterpreted your screen shot. So you are saying that there is an extra submenu that you are required to click to reach the settings for Weight? I don't know what would cause this to happen. 

best response confirmed by Sels31 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Sels31 

Are you seeing this in a particular document or can you reproduce it in any Word document which contains a shape?

If the issue appears to happen with just some documents, consider sharing a sample document with the forum. 

Ok found the problem ! I was re-using an old template (92-03 word comptability) , by switching the version to the newest it got solved.

thanks !

@Sels31 

Thanks for the follow-up.

Over the years, there have been some major changes in Word, especially when the *.docx format was introduced and then a second time with the layout engine changes in Word 2013. These changes affect the behavior and available commands (depending on the compatibility mode), but I haven't seen exactly the "submenu symptom" you described. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sels31 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Sels31 

Are you seeing this in a particular document or can you reproduce it in any Word document which contains a shape?

If the issue appears to happen with just some documents, consider sharing a sample document with the forum. 

View solution in original post