Sub/superscripts get lost in cross-referenced text

Copper Contributor

When creating cross-references to bookmarked text containing superscripts or subscripts, the super/subscripts revert to regular text. For example, X to the Y power becomes XY. Is there a workaround? MERGEFORMAT and CHARFORMAT don't help.

5 Replies

@YD_Forums The second instance of xy in the first screen shot,

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1652948244947.png

is as indicated by the second screen shot a cross reference

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_1-1652948309675.png

If you can upload a copy of your document, I will investigate the issue.

@YD_Forums 

Remove both \* CHARFORMAT and \* MERGEFORMAT from the cross-reference field. See Doug's screen shot of the field code.

Thanks, I finally figured that out. For some reason word automatically inserted the \* MERGEFORMAT switch and it took me a while to realize that was the problem. I have yet to understand why Word sometimes inserts it automatically and other time does not. do you know?

@YD_Forums 

If the cross-reference is inserted via the Cross-reference dialog, Word will not add the \* MERGEFORMAT switch.

If it is inserted via the Insert Fields dialog, the \* MERGEFORMAT switch will be added if the box for "Preserve formatting during updates" is checked.

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1653202450942.png

One would think that it would be the formatting of the referenced item that would be preserved, but for some perverse reason, that is not the case.

The ways of MS are mysterious, but they keep us on our toes.