Style gallery

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to permanently change the styles that appear in the style gallery for all documents?

I work on a lot of documents from many different users and of course their styles are set to a variety of different things depending on their personal preferences.

What I would like to be able to do is to open a document and for the style gallery to give me the buttons for the styles I want - normal, headings 1 - 4, no spacing, quotation and list paragraph. What I would love to get rid of is all the nonsense such as 'intense quotation' and 'subtle reference'. Not even sure what a subtle reference is. I have changd the gallery in my 'Normal' template to what I need, but even so good old Word still thinks I need to be offered all its silly styles on every new document I open. Is there a way of killing them off, or at least removing them from the style gallery?

2 Replies

@AlanBN 

There is no simple way to change this for all documents at once, but you can choose the styles you want in the gallery and then save the document as a template.

Alternatively, open the Normal template for editing and make the desired changes there. The modified Style Gallery will be available to all new, blank documents.

Thanks @Stefan_Blom
I feared as much. I've sorted the normal template with what I want, although it always also gives me the rest of the junk. Shame.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.