Removing hyperlinks from footnotes in word 2013

Copper Contributor

I have written a long book with footnotes.  Some of the footnotes have hyperlinks, and I would like to turn them into normal text before the book becomes a hard copy.  Searning online, I find this is supposed to be done by hitting CTRL-A within a footnote to select all footnote text (that works), and then hit CNTRL-SHIFT-F9. Unfortunately that does nothing at all.  I could do them one by one, but selecting the hyperlink, right-clicking, and then clicking "remove hyperlink" doesn't do anything either. What will work? Thanks.

11 Replies

@KaiserD2 You may need to CTRL+SHIFT+Fn+F9

Thanks but that does nothing either.

@KaiserD2 Go to File>Options>Customize Ribbon and click on the Keyboard shortcuts>Customize button and then in the Customize Keyboard dialog, select the All Commands category and locate the UnlinkFields command and note the current key assignment for that command.

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1692570698190.png

That showed CTRL-6 and CTRL-shift-F9 and neither of them does anything.

@KaiserD2 Can you upload a copy of the document so that we can investigate the issue.

I would be glad to upload an excerpt--it is extremely long--but I can't see how to upload.

@KaiserD2 When you click on reply, you will see the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach"

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1692592207508.png

@KaiserD2 OK, here is one chapter--there are some footnotes with hyperlinks on the third page.  I'm looking for a global solution. Thanks.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you Doug Robbins.

@KaiserD2 While the hyperlinks had been removed, probably because of your using one or the other of the previous suggestions, the text still have the appearance (font colour, underlining) of a hyperlink.  To remove that, switch Draft View and then click on Show Notes in the Footnotes section of the References tab of the ribbon and in the Font section of the Home tab, click on the Underlining button TWICE, and then from the Font colour dropdown, select Automatic.

This screenshot shows the result of performing those actions

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1692657434344.png

Thanks! I should have thought of that. There's an easier way to do it--I converted all the footnotes to end notes, selected them all, and then just changed the font color and did the double underlining. Then I converted them back--and that was that!