Please help!! Turn off track changes and review pane

Copper Contributor

I have been using Word on a daily basis for literally years. I use the balloon comments a lot to flag things for my client with an explanation in the balloon. Today on my last report of the day, I have clearly unknowingly done something to change the settings. Now every time I try to make a comment it puts it over in what I'm calling a review pane on the left side of screen along with any other changes I've made rather than putting the balloon off to right side of document with space to make my comment. I have tried everything and looked up things and CANNOT fix this. I go to Review and turn off track changes, I change Markup to No Markup, etc.  It will then take that pane away but when I try again to insert a comment that normally comes up individually on the right side, it puts it in a pane on the right along with other changes or at least my name multiple times as I changed the  Change Markup to Comments Only or even none at all. I cannot get it to revert back to the comment style I've been using for literally years and years. I'm losing my mind!!! I would SO appreciate help!!  Word 2019

2 Replies
Update: In my panic and the need to get the reports finished and to my client, I "forgot" the basic rule that I know all too well. When something is going wrong that you can't explain, restart the software or the computer or both. Yep, that took care of the problem! I've been doing this too long to forget such a simple rule, but all is well that ends well!

@Cherra2 

Thanks for the follow-up. Sometimes, a restart is all that it takes. :)

I'd just like to add that there are situations when Word forces the Reviewing pane. For example, assume that you have instructed Word not to display markup balloons and deletions (for example) are set to be hidden. Certain actions, such as moving from one tracked change to another (using the commands on the Review tab), will then make the Reviewing pane pop up.